Small Hands Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Hi, I want to upgrade my bass, I play a lot of punk, pop, rock, stuff. But I want to have some versatility so I can learn and play some slap and tapping but they arent my main concern.
    I have seen that the Music Man Stingray is supposed to be a ver good Bass for what I am interested in. However I looked it up on the and it has wide frets. Now how will this work with smaller hands? I currently play an older P style bass, and I am not sure if a smaller neck/strings closer togeather would benefit me or not. Like the Fender Jazz, however that isnt what i want.

For a ball park, my index finger is only just over 2.5" long, middle finger just over 3" and from my wrist to the end of my middle finger it is only about 7.5" long.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you like the Stingray but are worried about the thick neck get a Musicman Sterling. It is similiar to a Stingray, but has more complex electronics and most importantly, a smaller body and neck. It will be comfortable with small hands.
  3. Guild Ashbory bass

There is usually a few on ebay. The reissues look nice.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

No idea what the neck is like on your current bass so it could be anything. If it's along the lines of a Fender P you've managed to work around small hands and the Stingray probably wouldn't be an issue.

Usually small hands means short scale cuase a fatter neck is not as much as issue as the stretch in the lower register. Seems the Ashbury is one and there's one in the TB classifieds. The only short I've had was a Hofner copy which has limited application. A TB search for short scales should yield something useful.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Or even better a SUB Sterling, cheaper woods, wierd finish, but cheaper and has the electronics of a two band Stingray.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont see how an SUB sterling is better than a sterling. :eyebrow:
  7. My daughter has quite small hands and always goes for my Danelectro Longhorn when she wants to play one of my basses.

Can't fault it for the price - though it CERTAINLY ISN'T in the same league as a Music Man!!!
  8. You should really check out a MusicMan Sterling.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Cheaper, and the electronics are much closer to the Stingray's.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mmm i guess.
  11. You can use any bass for the kinds of music you are interested in. Most of that kind of music was recorded using a Fender bass of some sort, and fender does make some small scale basses.

If you would like to get a decent quality instrument for cheap, I would suggest you get a short-scale SX bass from
    They get great reviews around here as far as quality of materials for the price. It would be easy to upgrade the electronics and other parts.

If you feel like spending $1200, get a Sterling. If you want a smaller bass that will be cheaper and just as good, customize a SX.
  12. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I have one; an L2. It's great.
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Did you just say an essex would be just as good as a Sterling? Better review your facts :-/
  14. Two words, Ric kenbacker. Nice slim neck.
  15. Might be "slim" but it's not narrow! The Ric has a width at the nut of 42.9 mm (1 11/16") which is even wider than a Stingray: 1-5/8" (41.3mm). The Sterling has a width of 1-1/2" (38mm)
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Bleh, I've always felt like Rick necks felt more like a baseball bat than a bass neck... But, I like Jazz necks... BTW, I do NOT have small hands,,, & I still like the neck profile of a Jazz.

IMHO, don't get hung up on your hand size. There's some rather amazing bass players w/ small hands... Don't sweat it.
  17. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I play a Stingray as my main bass. I have smallish hands and always find that its comfortable (I use my pinky for most normal 1-3 fret stretches, if that gives you any idea). I got a Geddy Lee jazz that has a super slim neck that is comfortable as well. The Sterling has a similar neck to a Jazz, so it could be a good fit.

Of course, everyone is different so go try one out until you find something comfortable. Believe me, I know how hard it can be to find something!
  18. Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    I have hands about the size you do....

this is one of my basses....

size doesn't matter ;) you can play anything if you REALLY want to ;)

19. Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    actually i just measuerd my hand like you did

index is 2.25"
    middle is 3"
    wrist to middle is 7.5"

so my hands ARE like yours

like i said, you can play anything you want.....technique is paramount