1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small hands

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Farith Bernal, Dec 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Farith Bernal

Farith Bernal

Dec 2, 2017
    Mexico
    Hi, I think I have a small hands for the bass, my hands are 7 inch long, and to be honest I'm very insecure about it, plus I want to try a 5 string bass but idk, I feel like my hands are going to be a trouble. What do you think about it?
    Here is a photo

Attached Files:

2. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Oh, boy... Here we go again. There is another thread from today on this topic around here somewhere. You will find a lot of good advice in there, despite the conflicting views.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    This is about the 4th thread like this in a week. Relax. I see 9 year olds on YouTube killing it with full sized basses. But everyone is different. Go to some music stores and start trying some basses. You might prefer a short scale, which likely would leave you with 4 stringers, but until you start playing some, you won't know.

4. Tyco666

Tyco666

Jul 20, 2014
    Get over it - no such thing.......

bassbully likes this.
  5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I’m a big guy with small hands. I play bass with no issues mainly a five string. There are some basses that will feel better for you then others so go find one. There is no excuse with small hands and playing so get it out of your head. BTW Ibanez makes some pretty good fives with thinner necks but the string spacing can be and issues for some.

6. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA

You'll be fine. Go practice! :thumbsup:

TolerancEJ likes this.
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

8. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Let those of us who are into that sort of thing now commence to feel worthless about ourselves and our wretched abilities that any semi-gifted child now can surpass.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    From the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger is about 7" as well. I am self conscious about it as well. I didn't really notice or think about it until I was in my 30s, and then it started bugging me. 5 string basses and thick profile necks on basses like a Fender P cause me a lot of grief, especially close to the nut. 6 string basses are just plain out for me.
    Flatter profile necks like a Ibanez or Pedulla work for me. But I can honestly say that I've never played a bass where the neck felt "perfect." I always feel like I'm fighting with finger placement, and even though I've been playing for 25 years, there are times where I don't feel as "in control" of my bass as some players look when I watch them.
    I don't know what to tell you.

10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
  11. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I'm tall with very large hands. Add to that I'm a thumb hanger, never learning the proper fretting technique. Larger hands allowed me to get by pretty easy with the wrong left hand position. Gradually I've adjusted to the correct “thumb behind the neck” on many passages but never gave up the thumb overhang completely.

The moral is, size got nothing to do with it but technique does. If it did, these youngin's wouldn't be playing me under the table.

12. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Just shorten your strap. Nobody can reach around the neck.