1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small hands

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CactusBass, Sep 27, 2009.

1. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    I am curious if anyone else has experience with having smaller hands and play. My friend who plays has much bigger hands then I. I can play but sometimes get discouraged by the lack of reach/rang that I have.
    I feel like it inhibits my playing..Am I doomed?

2. tdoody

tdoody

Sep 5, 2008
    carol kaye is a legendary session bass player.
    she is a very small woman with tiny hands. she used to play a p bass. technique and coordination can overcome small hands
    get a good teacher and go for it

td

3. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    thanks for the encouragement..do you think I will have to work harder to play at the same level as someone with larger hands?

4. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I have smaller hands and I am an accomplished 5 string bassist. I do not play any short scale basses.

6. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    What about necks? I play a fender, with a J neck...Its not too girthy and plays pretty fast, but for instance my friends warwick screws me up with its thick neck...what other models have good necks for me?

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I've got smaller hands than a lot of my guitar playing friends, and I play a 35" scale 5er and a 7 string, amongst other basses. My one short scale bass feels like a toy.

Practice helps overcome any percieved physical difference. If I had to work any harder to play the same thing as guys with bigger hands, I didn't notice. I just practiced until I got it right.

8. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I personally love those made by Birdsong Guitars, Wimberly Texas; some Squiers are short scale with jazz profile necks

9. CactusBass

CactusBass

Aug 2, 2009
    thanks guys!

10. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    Big hands? We don't need no stinkin' big hands!

Small hands for playing a bass guitar? Forget about it! Check out Esperanza Spalding on the double bass AND while singing:

11. Kevinmach

Kevinmach

Dec 7, 2008
    Though I am not a small dude, I have believe I have small hands, and I definitely don't have long fingers. When I play my 35-scale, it can be a bit of stretch on the 1st 4 frets.

I used to wonder if it was holding me back too, UNTIL....

... someone on posted a youtube video of a dude with NO right hand (you heard me right, he was missing his plucking hand completely)... what happened to it, I have no idea, but the tone and fluidity he got out of his fretting hand by itself was better than 1/2 the amateur bassists I've heard....

after than, I never complained about my "small hands" again...

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I customize and sometimes buld my own 5 string basses that meet my needs as a 5 string bassist with smaller hands. My perfect bass has 5 string on a 4 string p-bass neck.

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm

13. I'm a girl with tiny hands and short fingers... but with lots of practice you won't notice it anymore and it will feel natural. When i pick up a regular guitar it feels like a toy.

14. afromoose

afromoose Guest

If you keep your hands relaxed and learn to move your arm and wrist very naturally then I think you can make up for a lack of handspan. I think the key is keeping the hand and wrist relaxed.