1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

small hands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rosettastond29, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rosettastond29

rosettastond29

Jan 21, 2012
    I recently picked up the bass.... 4 string. Gettin pretty good with it only problem is my 12 year olds hands are almost bigger than mine. I have to change stance too often just to play how i need to. Thinkin of gettin an ESP but not sure which one any recomendations

2. Ibaness soundgear bases. Great sound and thiner neck make for a comfortable bass playing experience.

3. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I'm not really an expert on the subject of ESP basses, but I do believe most (if not all) of them are standard, 34" scale... now, I have rather average-sized hands, but I can still handle a long-scale fiver just nice. This is not an empty boast, just a simple fact, a bit of correct playing technique will get you a long way, but if you really are suffering with a long-scale bass, would it not be better to go for a short-scale, say ~30", one?

4. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    As toje said. It may not be a hand size thing. It might be a technique or personal preference thing. I am by no means a big man and I have very average sized hands yet I find the bigger P bass style neck extremely comfortable while the smaller necks (J's, Ibby's etc...) give me hand cramps. So i'd suggest playing around at your local music store to check that off the list first.

As far as your initial question/statement, to the best of my knowledge and with a little checking, ESP basses are fairly standard in neck size. Some a touch thinner in profile or at the nut, but basically pretty standard. If you are really needing something smaller definitely look into short scale basses. Squier and Fender make the Mustangs and the Jaguars in ss and Ibanez makes the Mikro. There are plenty more choices out there as well.

5. jamisonsalamand

jamisonsalamand

Aug 15, 2008
    I'm an 18 year old dude with small hands and I play a 35" scale six string just fine. Only thing it takes is proper technique. Unless you're playing a lot of chords on it, bass is probably an easier instrument with small hands than guitar is.

6. luvpbass

luvpbass

Sep 18, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I love my Fender Mustang RI. Short scale, thin neck, great tone. If you decide to go for one, I hope you like white - it's the only color offered. It's really a sad state of affairs that all but a handful of production basses are offered in a short-scale version. If they made more I, and everyone else who prefers short-scale, would d probably own a pile of them. I find it hard to believe that there isn't more of a market, especially internationally, for basses that are more comfortable for people with smaller hands. I've heard the arguments that short scale basses somehow lack low end, but I gigged with long-scale basses for decades and switched three years ago and honestly have not heard a difference. In fact, my playing has gotten much better. The good fingering technique I had to develop to compensate for the longer scale made it that much more effortless on a 30". It was like taking the weighted doughnut off the baseball bat.

7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    My 12 year old son has been playing a MIA P bass since he was 7! He plays Maiden songs :)

8. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    As a small-handed bassist, I tend to agree that technique will take you a long way. I went after tone before I ever considered how a bass felt. That being said, one of my favorites that I still miss is my old Ibanez BTB 405QM. Monster board on that one. Very wide and flat. Didn't give me any hassles. Work on developing flexibility in your hands. WARM UP!!! Before you ever start playing, stretch your hands, get your wrists limbered up. To me it's really no different than when you're playing sports, you have to get the muscle groups that you're going to be using warmed up and limber before you put them through strenuous activity.