Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small Head For A Cheap Price?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Can any one of you fellow TBer's give me some good links/ input towards a small head...

I'm talkin' under 300 watts(4 ohms) and under 250...if thats possible...

anything else you would suggest for a first gigging amp? thanks!

-Jon:oops:

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Anyone else smell something that reaks of Carvin, or maybe Peavey?

3. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    get a cool peavey off of ebay man....youll get one 200 bones easy like a mark 4 or better i have the original peavey 400 probably 1972 LOL it does the job and there 2 ohm stable!

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd look for a clean used G-K 400RB.

5. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    jeeze even looked for you LOL i found somthing could be good should go more than 250 i wouldnt suspect.....http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2527950789&category=3807

i even found the one i got on there LOL http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2526090132&category=38076
    i wouldnt buy this one though to many probs ...keep an eye out for a week or 2 and youll deffinetlly find somthing i got mine works very well same as this for 46 bux no pics of it or nothin thats why i bet and said it had scratch pots used cleaner works awsome ebay is the key and i like peavey rugged equipment

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Seconded.

I have one and it's brilliant.

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Third vote for a used GK 400RB.. see 'em constantly at a local store for $250-$300

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    AMP bh series. i picked up my bh-260 for a peavey tko and 60 bucks. (so...about 65 bucks :) )

9. I had an SWR ST-220 for a while, I only paid 200 clams for it. Kinda beat up cosmetically, but sounded great. Peavey Session Bass or SWR wkgmn 300 would be good choices too. If you don't need tons of power look for a GK 150MB. Nice little unit. I don't think any of those would run you more than $250.

BT

10. It's a true workhorse and will probably never let you down. I used mine for years as a reliable back-up to my tube rigs. Cheap, dependable and a no nonsense tone equals piece o' mind in my world.
    I read about a mod once where you swap the four mosfets ending up with about a 100 more watts. Not much but the extra headroom would be cool.

11. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I picked up mine off the bay for $175!

I am very happy with it.

Matt

12. i still prefer hartke because its 4 ohm stable LOL i even think LOL that LOL and 3500 cuz I own one and I need cab LOL to go with it LOL..... hartke 3500 is loud inexpensive used and its a great lil amp LOL hartke is good it has built in compression you use active or passive bass inputs for it when you turn the eq on it lights up i think that harkte has better tone than peavey peavey is rugged loud reliable hartke has tone loudness in upper models its better sounding than an PV I considering a hartke for you you should check hartke out u should check peavey out not until you play through both should you decide they are different amps i think youll be happy e.r. with hartke there are also SWR LA series suck as well as Peavey TNT combo sucks amps you should look at your price too look at ebay they have good prices you can never go wrong if you go ebay I even found one of mine LOL that i LOL bought for myself LOL and when the knobs go up and down its a good thing it changes EQ whatever that means LOL OMG TTYL

:rolleyes:

13. traynor monoblock. these are cheap as anything you can find, and they've got the power, 300w @ 2 ohms. i paid $200 cdn for mine, and i guess thats a bit pricy for one too, but thats what you get on the east coast of canada. they're as tough as anything i've ever seen, they're solid state too so nothing to worry about like knocking tubes around either

14. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    smokin somethin bassist31588
    LOL
    i said **** the dumb **** got an ampeg

15. I can remember when my Peavey Mark IV (210 watts into 4 ohms) was considered a power house. Oh well, that's why they call me greybeard. :meh: When low price is your objective, it's hard to beat Peavey or Crate. I also played a Behringer kick back type rig with 1x12 and 120 watts. It was only like $250 bucks and it sounded fine. If it breaks, however, might as well through it away. I'll shut up now :D

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    GK RB400, paid 350.00 new, the 175.00 Ebay deal even better. Versitle, small, good tone, 4 or 5 string features, tuning mute, very adjustable for tones etc. Nice grumpy little head, is this the number 4 or 5 vote for GK RB 400?

17. a used gk 400rb, or a used crate.

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure if you were being serious or mocking. However, I think you should consider looking into Peavey's higher end amps like the BAM (combo or head) and pro 500, along with their new cabinet series, the pro 210, pro 410 and pro 115.

I owned an HA3500 for a while, I couldn't get a usable tone out of the thing though. The tube side just sounded brittle and distorted while the SS side wasn't very punchy for me.

I picked up my Firebass II and the problem was solved. Currently looking into a BAM 210 combo, as it'll be lighter and with the amp modeling off and the fliptop 1x15 cab model on, it gets one of the best tones I've heard, as well as being highly portable. (sure beats lugging 250lbs around)

19. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    hmm... even though this thread is pretty old, i think it is still worthy of a reply. :)

This is for all the gk400rb owners and those who voted gk400. When running at 8 ohms, 150w, do you find that it is loud enough in a band setting (not a very loud band, but an average band)? Or do you find yourself pushing the head pretty hard? What about at 4 ohms?

The last thing I want, is to buy an amp and be bummed that it's not loud enough. Bad tone sucks too, but is secondary to being loud enough...volume should never be lacking, since that's the reason why I'm considering a new amp. It's like buying a new computer but then realizing it can't even run the operating system you're trying to install.