1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small/inexpensive power amp to pair with my preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warpeg, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    As it stands now, my large stage rig (4x12" + head) is also my at-home practice rig. This rig will be moving to another location for a long time and that will only leave me with my trusty 1x12" and a bass preamp to put together something for home use. A power amp is in order.

It's been a long time since I've researched power amps. Is there anything out there that is relatively inexpensive (Under $200) that can put out a minimum of 100W and is on the small side?

Edit: I guess I'll open this thread up to suggestions on micro full bass amps that are relatively low-power and low-price.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    There are plenty but more importantly what is the output of you pre-amp?
    Crown (and others) offer both .775V and 1.4V input sensitivity.

3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Good point. I’m using a very old Fishman Pro-EQ, which is the old all-metal non-instrument-specific preamp box that can be used for a variety of purposes. I use it for both EB and DB with success. According to the manual, the output is listed as, “Less than 3.5k ohms”, but doesn’t mention a voltage spec.

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    You could check this with a firend's amp.
    The question is will the output of this pre drive a power amp to its' potential.
    I have an older Ampeg pre that will not drive a 1.4V power amp anywhere remotely close to it's 1600 watt output.

5. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    High output power is not a great concern to me. The amp will likely only be used for personal home practice and smaller wine bar/coffee shop types of gigs. Have any suggestions on makes/models to look for?

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Likely a fairly low output drive capability. I would suggest looking for a small amp that contains at least a basic preamp.

Is your 412 8 or 4 ohms?

I might have something that would work, pm me if interested.

7. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks. I suppose I could also look at low-power, low-cost bass heads, too.

My 4x12 is not the cabinet to be powered by the amp. I am looking to power my 1x12, which is 8 ohm.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

GK MB150, GK MB200, TE Elf.

9. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I don't have a little practice amp right now and I'm using my 800 watt Traynor head through one of my 2x10 cabs at really low volume when playing at home. Also thinking of an alternative to this overkill.

A few options I'm considering include an older GK 400RB, an Ampeg PF-500, a Genz Benz Shuttle, or maybe Yorkville's 400 watt version of my Traynor - the preamp is terrific, but it's not as portable as a class d head.

I also have an Ampeg BSP preamp that's always nice, but it does't have much of an eq. So I'd rather have a light little head that could work on its own or let me run the Ampeg pre when I feel like it. Lots of little gems available in my local used market in the $200-$300 range.