1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small issues with new Genz Benz Focus 12s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jumblemind, Jan 9, 2013.

1. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Received two Genz Benz Focus 12 cabs last week with a few minor issues. These are the first brand new cabs I've owned in my ~20yrs of playing experience, so I'm trying to figure out of they are livable/part of a lower-priced cab experience or if I should return/contact someone.

One cab has a distorty/flappy sound in certain ranges, usually from G up to about B on both the E and A strings...most prominent on the 5th fret of E string. It sounds like what others have described with newly delivered cabs where the cardboard sleeve was knocked loose in one of the ports; but the Focus has a shelf port, and in groping around through the opening I couldn't immediately feel anything loose. Since they are immaculately new and the back doesn't look too accessible, I'm hesitant to crack one open to look for loose stuff.

The second cab I received has a small issue with the 3-position horn switch. There's no definite "click" for the middle/off position. I can get it to turn off by rocking it away from the up or down position, so it technically works. Just wondering if this is something worth addressing, or if it's small enough to live with.

There is one other weird thing: one cab has the handle on the side instead of on top like in all pictures (and like the second cab). I like this, as it's great for putting my short-footed TH500 on top.

Otherwise, these cabs sound reeaaalllly good, and I'm stoked to have them. Anyone else have similar issues? Will these "break in"?

2. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I've owned 3 genz cabs from 3 different series. All arrived brand new with a rattle. It most likely is being caused by how the divider in the middle of the port is attached. I put weight on the top of my cabs to make is go away but, you may have to re-glue it. Call Genz, jeff is always more than willing to go the extra mile to help. I liked the sound of the focus 4x10 but since that was my 3rd genz cab in a row with the same problem, I've written them off. It's really too bad. I've never had a single problem with their heads though and they continue to be my favorite amps ever.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The distortion certainly shouldn't be there. It could be a speaker problem, although, that it only happens on certsin notes, and not the deepest notes, it coukd be some loose hardware or something. The other sounds like it just got a bum switch.

Being new, I would just exchange them for another set of new ones as you shouldn't have those issues on something brand new. Maybe got some shipping damage, stuff knocked loose that isn't outwardly visible or something on that batch.

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I think the lack of a "click" in the tweeter switch is characteristic of the Focus cab. I have two Focus 115s and both have that same feel in the tweeter selector. Took me some time to get used to it.
    The distortion should not be there though. Mine are really solid tonewise and buildwise.

5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Like johnpbass, I have 2 Focus 115's. One of them had the indistinct middle position on the tweeter position at first, it actually seems to have improved some after I switched it a few times.

I *may* have a rattle in one, really hard to tell as I practice in a small upstairs room with a lot of junk in it so everything vibrates. Need to get it in a clean room and check it out further. I don't think it's anything big though.

Other than that, very happy with the tone and fairly light weight of these cabs.

6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
  7. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    You are under full warranty so feel free to give us a call and we will take care of you. Most likely ship some new ones out to where ever you bought them, so they can get you your cabs ASAP. I have not yet heard of this issue with the Focus 12's. The Handle position was changed specifically for micro heads to sit flush on the cab. You got a v1 and V2 of the Focus 12's.

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I'd hate to send them back if it's something minor i could fix with a simple adjustment, but i will give a call, thanks. I was very excited to see the handle change since i am indeed using micro heads. Genz Benz is on it!

9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Contact Genz Benz Customer Service, or just return them for another.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021