Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small Keyboard/Synth

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 25, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, instead of toting my DX-7 around, or my Korg SG-1D which weighs 78 lbs, is there anything smaller that sounds good. Something like 25 or 37 keys or something under $200. Just for a nice synth bass sound where I don't need to carry the whole keyboard. I'd prefer a standalone unit as opposed to a controller/module combo.

Anything?

2. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I use a Roland Alphajuno 1 or 2. I can get some great bass sounds out of it. you might also want to try to find a Korg Prophecy. But I think that might be a little more than you want to spend.

The Alesis Micron is also a great board. It's about $400 new. But I think it would be perfect. When I get a little money I think I'm going to get one.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Anyone looking at the Micron should definitely check out the MicroKorg. Very cool little unit. :)

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Look for a used Novation Bass Station. The original was a 32 key analog bass synth. They turn up on eBay often enough.

The suggestion for the Alpha Juno 1 was good, it's easily found on eBay for about $150 and is a 49 key unit, lighter than a DX7 but maybe not light enough.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was looking at the Novation. My only concern is that it's monophonic. I know polyphony isn't needed much in the bass frequencies, but I still like my root and fifth at the same time.

I guess if I can get a good enough price, I'll ignore the monophony.

Any other recs?