1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Small Keyboard/Synth

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 25, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, instead of toting my DX-7 around, or my Korg SG-1D which weighs 78 lbs, is there anything smaller that sounds good. Something like 25 or 37 keys or something under $200. Just for a nice synth bass sound where I don't need to carry the whole keyboard. I'd prefer a standalone unit as opposed to a controller/module combo.

Anything?

2. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I use a Roland Alphajuno 1 or 2. I can get some great bass sounds out of it. you might also want to try to find a Korg Prophecy. But I think that might be a little more than you want to spend.

The Alesis Micron is also a great board. It's about $400 new. But I think it would be perfect. When I get a little money I think I'm going to get one.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Anyone looking at the Micron should definitely check out the MicroKorg. Very cool little unit. :)

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Look for a used Novation Bass Station. The original was a 32 key analog bass synth. They turn up on eBay often enough.

The suggestion for the Alpha Juno 1 was good, it's easily found on eBay for about $150 and is a 49 key unit, lighter than a DX7 but maybe not light enough.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was looking at the Novation. My only concern is that it's monophonic. I know polyphony isn't needed much in the bass frequencies, but I still like my root and fifth at the same time.

I guess if I can get a good enough price, I'll ignore the monophony.

Any other recs?