1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small, light combo request

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timmah, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi, I've been playing open mics (think fools-on-stools type of events with acoutsic guitarists) lately and I'm tiring of carrying around my 800RB and accompanying 112 cab, as I live on a large, cold, college campus with no car, and occasionally have to walk about a half mile from my dorm to the "venue." So, I'm looking for a combo amp that won't break the bank or my back, but will be audible against 2 acoustic guitars and vocals in smallish rooms- cafes and the like. Used is preferable, for the sake of my expenses, but if something is a really great deal, I wouldn't be opposed to buying new. Right now 1x8, 1x10, and 1x12 combos seem to make the most sense, but I worry that the smallest won't keep up and the largest will be tough to carry.

Is 1x8, 1x10, or 1x12 best? What do you think is a cheap amp and easy carry for low-volume open mics?

2. Carvin MB series combos are right up your alley. You can get 1/10, 2/10, 1/12 or 1/15. 200 watts alone 250 watts with an extension cab. They all weigh around 30 lbs give or take a couple. You have a line out to your PA if needed, plus a built in compressor.

Lo-E, kikstand454, cjlembo and 3 others like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Get a nice 2 wheel cart and bungee cords.

5. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    GK150MB. Not super cheap although you can get them used for under $500.

Joedog likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
    I used to use an Ampeg B50R (discontinued) for that kind of situation. I thought it sounded great, and at 50 lbs was ok (but not great) for lugging around.

I recently was looking for a 100W lightweight combo for around $300. I ended up with a GK mb110 which is less than 25 lbs, but considered the Fender Rumble 100 and Carvin, too.

7. I just went to Carvin's site. Th MB10 weighs 26 lbs and costs 297.00. The MB15 weighs 32.6 lbs and costs 340.00. Either the 2-10 or single 15 extension cabs are 195.00 each.

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Phil Jones Bass Cub. I use it for 80% of my gigs now with americana geetar and light drums. I and others are astonished how full it sounds. Also very high quality.

macmanlou and Dominick C. like this.
  9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I hear great stuff about Fender Rumble Combos and their light weight..GK MB 112 II also comes to mind because I had one, plenty good for your situation...

ronaldpdbrandt likes this.
  10. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Linnin likes this.
  11. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    +1 on the little Carvin MB, love mine.

1stnamebassist likes this.
  12. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Used EBS Drome 12 or Warwick CCL if you can find either

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. Even a 20 pound rig will start to get heavy after a half mile. Keep your current setup and spend about $50 on a really nice cart. With a couple bungees you can even strap your bass to it. Then you'll roll down the street with one hand, and switch hands every couple hundred yards.

Cheap. Loud enough. Done.

14. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The new Fender Rumble stuff is crazy light and loud.

ronaldpdbrandt, pudgychef and Linnin like this.
  15. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Fender Rumble.

pudgychef likes this.
  16. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    +1 for the fender rumble 40. Super lightweight, loud enough for the acoustic guitars, and has a really nice tone.

ronaldpdbrandt and Linnin like this.
  17. Small, light, cheap, and loud... Pick two.

18. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I second the cart idea. But if you're pressed on a new combo, check out the GK MB112. They're fairly cheap and it will sound very similar to what you already have. I think they're like 30lbs.