Small & Light Power Amp Suggestions???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyGL, Nov 26, 2002.

1. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Any Suggestions out there for a REALLY SMALL light weight power only amp to use with a SansAmp DI. Something in the 250-300 watt at 8 ohms area would be great ? Thanks..A.
  2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Check out the Stewart World 1.2, 1.6 or 2.1. They are great power amps and weigh 17 lbs. or less (depending on the model).
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've been extremely happy with my OSC PLX's.
  4. I second that...

5. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Thanks for the suggestions...Are there any small and very light half rack amps out there too.

Also...I was reading in another post that the SansAmp DI output voltage might be a little low to use it as a pre amp without an aditional something to boost the output voltage..I never heard that before. Is that true?
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Stewart's World 250 is great. i use mine as studio monitors, and sometimes, i'll shove it into my small SKB 10" deep rack with one of my pre's for those suuuuuuuuuuuper quiet restaurant/lounge gigs.

also, like you found out, the Sansamp DI by itself aint gonna cut the mustard. why not try using an Acoustic Image Clarus head, and run the Sansamp DI thru the effects loop for a nice little warm setup? i think it does 350 watts @ 8 ohms no sweat.
  7. how much do you want to spend?
  8. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Unfortunately the Clarus only puts out 120 watts at 8 ohms. Not quite enough for my 8 ohm 1x12 practice rig. I'm surprised to hear about the Sansamp. I was hoping cause I already own one, I could just hook it up to a light weight power amp and have a nice compact practice rig on the cheap.
  9. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I have a World 250 (7 lb single rack space) and have used it with a Sansamp Acoustic DI as the only preamp. It worked pretty well bridged into an 8 ohm cab (210 watts max) especially with my double bass. However, there is more power there that isn't being used. When I ran this rig for electric bass, I usually added a Boss lmb-3 pedal to add a little compression and boost the signal just a little more.

I still use this setup for double bass, as is, but I picked up a Yamaha PB-1 preamp on Ebay to use for everything else.
  10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I third it
  11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Stewart also makes 1/2 rack stereo power amps up to 200 watts I beleive. it's on the website.

edit: sorry, looks like it only bridges to 100 watts @ 8ohms, but has 90 watts/side @ 4ohms.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I believe the problem is running the SABDDI into a QSC, because QSC power amps expect higher voltage than (some?) other brands. I've run the BDDI all by itself into other amps (including a MosValve 500, not the beefiest amp around) and had no problems.
  13. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
  14. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I looked at the booklet that came with the DI, it says nothing about what it's voltage output is.

What specs needs to be looked at to know if the SansAmp has good voltage output compatibility with whatever power amp is being used.
  15. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I went through all this myself and it's not really clear what spec you need to check. I think most rack type preamps will put out several times the voltage of the Sansamp. The good news is that it will work and you can't drive the power amp to clipping with the Sansamp. You can crank it and the power amp up without worry. Someone on another board was using a QSC 850 (I think) amp the same way with good results. If you need full gig volume, you will have to get a real preamp or add another gain stage.

If it hasn't been mentioned, Lord Valve modifies QSC amps to work with lower input voltages if you want to go that route.
  16. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    There's a simple mod that will let the Sansamp put out more volts, enough to drive a poweramp, in fact. Do a search; its been discussed many times.
  17. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA

I believe the Sansamp mod will allow the BDDI to run at the same output voltage as the Acoustic DI and/or the RBI, but still short of a regular rackmount preamp. The ADI has a pad switch to back off the XLR voltage if the output is set to run higher. It's a nice feature if you are using the Sansamp as your only preamp and need to send a lower signal to the board. Unfortunately that pad switch and the increase in voltage output are not standard issue on the BDDI.
  18. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000