Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small, light power amps NARROWER than a rack space?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 22, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This is a spin-off from my "Want a little head" thread...

What's out there in poweramps that are a "non-standard" form factor?

I'm aware of the Clarus, and that's about it. I’d buy a Clarus in a heartbeat if they came out with a more powerful one.

I'm thinking in the 400W~600W @ 4 Ohm range, and X 2 would be fine, too (always nice to have a channel in reserve, I'm told). I'd prefer not to have to run bridged to get these levels.

Is anything like this being made? I know racks are the industry standard, but I'm looking for lightweight portability for use with a SABDDI or something similar.

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Check out Stewart power amps. The half rack ones aren't as powerful as what you're after but maybe using two...?
    Or a Walter Woods?

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    maybe some home audio type thing....

i've seen little 100 w mixer/poweramp deals at radio shack, so there must be more powerful ones out there.

jason

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, doesn't sound like much is out there. How about normal rack width amps with removable rack ears?

My G-K 400RB is the perfect size to go with my Bag End S15-D, and ears on a case the same size would hurt when you walk into them!

5. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    The Walter Woods are really small, about 8 pounds max. Great for taking on an airplane, etc. But they're really expensive.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    HeavyDuty,
    are you just trying to find an amp that won't hang over the edges of your 18 inch bag end speakers?
    If so anything mounted in a normal 19 inch rack looks ok on top of the bag ends. I've found that the 1/2 inch on either side isn't noticable at all. now of course something like an old SVT would probably hang over by a couple inches on each side and does look kind of goofy. Not the greatest picture but here is my set up using a 19 inch rack mounted amp on top of the BE's. If I'm way off base as to what you are looking for , kindly disregard. ;)

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    CB56 - It's not so much the cosmetics of the issue, but the hassle and pain of walking into rack ears! I sliced my calf and a pair of jeans with my G-K before I removed the ears (one of the screw heads was stripped when I got it, and I was using it with the ears attached). That, and the ears were hard on the leather seats in the car :mad: .

A "normal" sized power amp without rack ears would be A-OK. It just seems most have built-in ears.

I won't buy a poweramp based solely on whether or not it has ears - but if I can find a quality amp without 'em, I'd be inclined to go with it. Although, if I rack a lightweight amp in a lightweight case (like yours), it would be more weather resistant. Hmmm…I need to think this through.

This all came up because 1) I’ve been hearing people raving about how happy they are using their SansAmps as preamps and 2) my uncle (same age as me) really, really wants my J-Station, and it’s underutilized in my house. I will pick up a SABDDI in the near future, and plan on running it as a preamp into my G-K 400RBs poweramp section via the effects return until I get the poweramp issue figured out. I plan on keeping the G-K as my backup amp.

Sorry for subjecting everyone to my addled, convoluted thought process - I’ve been sick…

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    HeavyDuty, if rack ears are a problem, just cut them off. That seems the only possible solution to get the poweramp you want with no rack ears. I don't know what else to say. And I'm sick too, buddy. It sucks.

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Big, boomy cough, sinuses frigged, fever - yep, I'm a barrelful of fun. I wouldn't wish this on anyone!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

HD, I answered your other thread, but this one has me a little confused. Are you talking integrated preamp/power amp, or strictly power amp? If you are talking strictly power amp, I've never seen anything that narrow.

If you are talking integrated, Eden WT400.

The Eden Traveler Plus is only 15lbs, 400 watts and is much smaller than anything in this thread with the exception of the Clarus and possibly the Walter Woods.

It comes with detachable ears if you want to rack it, but since you don't, it is 2 rack spaces high and only 12 inches wide.

Look how small this thing is!

http://www.edenelectronics.com/400.html

[​IMG]

11. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    My Walter Woods amp is 350 at 4 ohms x 2, and is roughly the size of the above mentioned Eden head. You get the BEST costumer support (personally from Walter), and one of the most sturdiest of amps. I personally dig how everything on the amp is metal (no plastic). There is about a year wait, but price-wise are comparable to topline SWR and Eden gear. If you want something that will cease your posts about "which amp is best?", well, then...

WW!

:D

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Jeff, I started out looking at small integrated heads based on my positive experience demoing a Mesa Walkabout, and was then led astray into looking at separate power amp/preamp rigs. Ideally, I would like one of each :)D ), but I'm beginning to think I'd get more bang for the peso out of a modest (1000W nominal) poweramp and a good preamp.

13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    HeavyDuty, why don't you just put your rackmount gear in a rack case? :confused:

That should keep the ears from sticking out...

14. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Not to mention protect it...

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My first thought was to just plop a power amp on top of my cab like I do now with my G-K 400RB - minimum size and bulk. However, getting a lightweight case (like a Roto-rack) is starting to look more practical.

16. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
  17. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The latches on roto-racks are very low quality and more often than not when you see one that's actually been used out in the real world they've failed. Sorry to rain on yer parade but I think SKB racks are not a very good investment except in the very short term.

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The Carvin one primusdude shows above has promise, and a carpeted rack would be less likely to slide off the cab!

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If the Carvin rack is the same one that comes with the R600/1000, you might want to reconsider. They don't have any place for you to attach your amp using the rack ears. The Carvin amps screw into that rack on TOP If you place a regular amp into it will just slide right through. Of course you could always attach a couple of chunks of wood or an angle bracket for the rack ears.