Small, lightweight NEO cabs with big extended low end - do they exist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by npbassman, Nov 27, 2015.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    So I'm currently rocking a pair of GK Neo 112 cabs however in most cases I usually need only one. I love the facts that it's a one trip schlep in and out, that I can carry it with one hand, and they both fit in the trunk of an Accord coupe. But...prior to this setup I was going through an Eden 2x10x15 stack that was probably responsible for cracking a few foundations. The GK's sound great tonally but I miss that "fill the room and feel it at the same time" experience that didn't require massive volume to achieve. Even when I use both GK cabs it doesn't add extended lows, it just gets louder and increases the headroom.

Is there a small, compact neo cab (or pair of cabs) that can reproduce this kind of extended low end? The Barefaced cabs claim they can do this and look promising. Perhaps a Fearful build? If not, I'm wondering if I'm just a 4x10 or 2x15 type of guy.

Thanks! Mike

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  2. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I am still waiting for the first person ever to say "I got a Barefaced Big Baby 2 but I don't really like it."

That will be my next cabinet. And a One10 for the small gigs.

Yes, I know that's what you were looking for-- advice from someone who doesn't own the cabinet he's advising you to get, lol. From what I hear, one will rock you like everyone else's pair of 12's, two might just kill you. I have always been a 4x10 kind of guy but 2 Aguilar SL-112's have convinced me 12's are the way to go but only partly for their modular nature (1 or 2 depending on gig)... I plan to go all the way to the Barefaced with that sound model.Not that SL-112 are not good, they are... especially paired. But, Barefaced, c'mon, man.

Good luck finding your tone, Mike. I suspect you'd like the Barefaced much more than the GK neo's. You may not like the price tag as much, though. I just like how well 12's work, and 12's were not always my thing.

lomo likes this.
  3. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together

Nov 20, 2013
    North Cackalacky
    I own GK Neos myself, and just picked up a 212 that rocks quite well, but requires a bit of scooping to get the effect you talk about. That being said, this video really showed what boutique cabs can do without having to dial them in. I think this might actually fit the bill for what you want:

4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I don't look for "extended low end" when playing live, as a matter of fact I added a HPF to avoid it and play better with others. ;)

5. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I think an Acme, fEARful or Fearless 112 would do what you are looking for.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021