Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small, loud high quality cab& or Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Does anyone make a rig that has a sound quality similar to a high end four by ten, but is very small? I keep thinking about Bose speakers and wondering why no one has made a rig like that. (if they did I'd love to know of it!) I think I'll try and build one.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They exist: Acme, Euphonic Audio, Acoustic Image and Flite all make small. lightweight cabinets that sound like much bigger boxes. Some upright bass players have used the Bose 802 speakers as well (I have never heard of anyone trying to use these for bass guitar).

What most of them have in common is that they need much more wattage to reach the same volume as larger cabs. Some users of these cabs are running well over 1000 watts into them and consider it a reasonable price to pay.

The other thing to consider is that at some point, physics takes over. To expect a cabinet with 2-8" drivers to perform at high SPLs like one with 4 or 8 10" is a bit silly. At lower volumes, sure.