1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small low-wattage power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Aug 31, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    By small I'm talking smaller than Shuttle small. I want to make a micro-amp setup using my VT pedal as a pre, and I really only need about 100w. As a longtime head user, I know nothing about what's hot in power amps, and the only small cheap one I've found is a Nady rackmount, and I'd like to avoid rackmounting. Does a product like that exist?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Bose PackLite? Otherwise, you have to admit that the Shuttle, or Micro300 are quite small. Just bypass the preamp.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    True, but I'd rather pay a couple hundred for a power amp than $550 for a Shuttle 3.0. I already have an LMII, but I think I'll probably sell it since I already have a combo and I don't need it for fly gigs anymore since getting a VT pedal.

Packlite, huh? The weight is good. A little more wattage than I need, but I could live with it. Just wish it didn't cost $400.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Crate Power Block. 150 watts low cost.

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Seamonkey's suggestion might work, but man, damping factor of 200... don't know if I'd want that for bass reproduction specifically. Any reason your LMII's power section won't work, since you already own it and it's small? Or do you want considerably smaller than that?

One of these days, someone will make a VT-type (and size/weight) pedal, but with a built-in 100 watt power amp. That would be awesome.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thanks, folks! I'm feeling all those suggestions except the Crate (discontinued), but I tried to find out what damping factor is and I don't get it. So is damping factor of 200 bad? What am I looking for optimally?

Mama, to answer your question, we got flooded last week in the storm and we have to buy some carpet, so I'm going to sell off a couple things that are overkill. One of them is my 77 B-15N, and one of them is my LMII (I think it already has a buyer). Now that I have this VT pedal, I don't need the LMII. I love it, but I have a Markbass combo already. I could just use the amp out of it, but I don't always want to use the combo cab. So a nice little 100-150w power amp would suit me fine, keep me from having to lug the combo, and allow me to get some scratch up for the carpet.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I am guessing it's only 125 Watts into 8 Ohms.

Would the power amp be for your fly gigs? On those gigs, I think you could arrange to borrow a spare power amp channel from the PA, so it becomes just a matter of cabling. Or use the power amp section from whatever backline you are given.

It appears that $400 is the entry point into a lightweight amp at the present time, and you have tasted the lightweight kool aid, so there is no going back. :D

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL! I don't know, F...I still own tube amps...

No, I won't be flying with it. This is just to basically set up a cheapo faux Ampeg for my 410 and B-15 stack when I need more power than the B-15 has and not have to drag the Markbass combo around when I don't need the cab.

10. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I know I probably will get shot down for this,
    but what about a small car audio amplifier?

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Oh no - a discussion on damping factor. :meh: often debated, and means nothing. Take a read of "Damping Factor: Effects On System Response" by Dick Pierce:
    http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/damping-factor-effects-on-system-response

Another amp, if you want to spend a little more is Vestax VDA1000 but it's a 1000w.
    I'm not sure why there aren't more available.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This isn't a bad idea. Some car amps use ICEpower modules which are very good. Any class-d full-range car amp can work well, but you have to convert 120v to 12v high amps. There are a light power supplies available:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ower+supply&kw=power+supply&parentPage=search
    http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls.htm

Then you're ready for a tailgate party or small gigs. And you can leave the bass cab in the car for the stereo the rest of the time.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Never even thought of a car amp. That's fairly interesting....

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I know they're discontinued, but the Crate Powerblock is the very definition of "small". Not exactly lightweight, but small for sure. There's one at Zoo Music, in Garland TX, if you want to buy it sight unseen. It's NOS, forget what they're asking, but it fits the bill here perfectly, Jimmy, just what you want.

15. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    ART SLA-1. 1U rack mount 100 W stereo power amp designed for studio monitors. About 200 USD.

Oh, nevermind, I see you didn't want rackmount.

16. I recently stumbled across a company called Canford and they sell their Canford Compact Power Amplifier. They're a British company, and the amp looks real tidy. Ignore the price listed, I've seen them for £69 new. They have a balanced line in and Speak-on out. About 125w at 4ohms I think. 1.5kg in weight too.

20-311_01.
    20-311_02.

Like you I require something small to work with my PJ Bass Buddy, and finding a cheap powered cab is hopeless in the UK. This overs a good alternative when hooked up to a small cabinet I would think. No doubt someone will tell me otherwise...

Hope this helps?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Interesting little guy, that Canford. Can't find a US distributor, though.

18. I did find it on eBay originally, and I believe they were quoting international shipping. I was amazed that after searching for ages for something like this, I find a British made one, and completely by accident! Just done a search on eBay and nothing came up. You may have better luck with your own countries eBay though.

A quick trawl on Canford's website has their international shipping policy:
    link.

19. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Jimmy,

The stewart PA-50, PA-100, or even PA-200 would probebly be right up your alley.

I jsut sold my pa-50.

They are between 3 and 5 pounds, depending upon model, and 25 to 200 watts, depending upon model and whether you run it stereo or bridged mono.

VERY CLEAN sound. I think the stewart sl-1 mentioned above is a step up, and both are basically for use as monitors.

you can rack the PA-xx series, or not. I didnt. They are 1/2 rack space.

Small, nice little amps imo.

Check EBAY, they go for 75 to 200 bucks, depending.