Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small microphone suggestions for recording band practices?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm thinking of getting a cheap MD player/recorder to record band practice for church. I need suggestions on a dynamic (non battery) 1/8" plug microphone that might be good for 100dBs or so. doesn't have to sound great, just handle high dBs pretty well and not be too expensive.

I was thinking $100 for MD $100 or less for microphone.

Its for church band practice and we don't play the same songs one week to the next because I'm also playing with different band leaders and they sometimes pull out songs I've never heard and I forget the tempo or style of song and this way I can be a little better prepared!

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I've found that PZM's provide a great all-purpose sound. Good bass response too when mounted to a surface (such as a wall).

We used a realistic PZM that worked great, but crown makes one too. Most church supply shops have them.

Reportedly Zappa used a whole ton of pzm's when recording a symphony once...

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    hey smash

have you ever used the Sony ECM-DS70P?