1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Small Mixer

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Aug 28, 2012.

1. I'm interested in purchasing a small mixer to use in my home recording setup. I may also use it for live performances but it's primary purpose would be in the studio. My budget is maximum $400.00. So far, I've narrowed it to these models:

1. Allen & Heath ZED 14
    2. Mackie 1402 VLZ3
    3. Soundcraft EPM8

I'm looking for feedback, primarily from folks who have used or still use one or more of these mixers. Thanks in advance!

2. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    How do you record? what interface are you using?
    Because there are some mixers that can record directly to pc,like Alesis USB2.0 boards.
    Can record all inputs at the same time ,and comes with Cubase LE4.
    I mean,there are 8 and 16 tracks models,but the 8 is within your budget.
    Do you need more than 8 tracks simultaneously??

3. I'm tracking with a Tascam DP-008 and then importing the files into a computer for further manipulation. I don't need more than 8 tracks simultaneously.

4. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    So,see if the alesis8 usb2.0 is something that can help you.
    You can still use it to mix into the tascam ,or then record directly into Cubase.
    The difference is in the pc,you can record infinite separate tracks (so 8 tracks is not even close to the limit,and the tascam only record 2 at a time),have a clean direct sound from every instrument,edit everything,add effects,EQ,and so on.
    I use this setup to record ideas,it is easy to lay down some drum loops and keyboard (I use a XP80 workstation),then add the bass and guitar later.

5. Are you suggesting the Alesis because you've used it? Of the mixers I listed in my original post, the Allen & Heath ZED 14 has USB IN/OUT and 100mm faders (which I prefer to knobs) How are the mic pres on the Alesis?

6. Bump. Anyone else?