Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small PA help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Oct 4, 2002.

1. if this is in the wrong forum... sorry... please move it wherever you see fit

well my new band is comming along very nicely but we are in desperate need of a new PA for practicing...
    though i know quite a bit about bass amps and cabs i know NOTHING about PA equipment. We are a 5 piece band... 3 of us sing (im not one of them). The other two instruments that will need to run through the pa is a electric piano and saxaphone... money is very tight at the moment and we really dont need anything huge here... just enough to get over the me (400 watts 4x10, the drummer, and the guitarist (90 watts 4x12)... any help is greatly appreciated... thanx.

2. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I've had some expierence with Carvin gear. It's not the best, but sounds good, and for clubs it's perfect. For the mains you should be fine with 200 watts per side. Do you need monitors as well? They make 4 to 12 channel self amplified mixers and various speaker cabs. Check out there website.

www.carvin.com

3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Take a look at Mackie. I use their powered )SRM-450 I think) speakers in a variety of combos that I play with. It is a small 2-way speaker that contains 2 power amps and a crossover. It puts 350 W into the 15" and 150 W into the horn. You can put them on stands and use them for mains, or put them on the floor and you've got a monitor wedge. Mackie also makes a nice sub-woofer that is installed at a club I play at.

Plenty of other manufacturers make these compact, powered speakers and I know Behringer just dropped their prices (They are quite a bit less than the Mackie, but I've never used them.... anyone?)

2 powered speakers, a small mixer and you're in business.