1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small Pedalboard Build

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BonsaiBass, Dec 21, 2018.

1. BonsaiBass

BonsaiBass

Jan 10, 2012
    Hey guys! I'm a bass guitarist picking up where I left at before a period of relative bass playing inactivity during which I focused more on beatmaking ranging from hip-hop to dub/reggae to cumbia to psych rock influenced trip-hop. Picking up my bass where I left it I felt it was a good moment to expand on my tone pallet and put together a pedalboard. I plan on putting it on a skateboard maybe 34 to 38 inches long and 8 to 10 inches wide depending on what my final setup demands.
    As of now I think I need:
    1) Tuner(duh)
    2) Compressor - Way Huge Saffron Squeeze vs. Ampeg Opto Comp (I also thought of buying a Joyo Dyna Comp ahead just 'cause they're so cheap)
    3) Chorus - EHX Bass Clone vs. Digitech Luxe
    4) Octave pedal - Boss OC-3 vs. TC Electronic Sub n Up
    5) Envelope Filter (MXR)
    6) Preamp/D.I. (MXR)
    I've already got the preamp and the envelope filter is on its way, but I wanted to hear your opinions on these pedals as compared to one another, not only soundwise, but also build, quality and convenience. What I want to achieve is a sound capable of going from vintage hip-hop sample like sound to lo-fi dancehall/dub sounds to hi-fi hip-hop sub bass. I also thought about getting a tremolo wich could add to an electronic feel and/or a Fulltone OCD to add some grit and synth sounds (combined with the sub octave and/or envelope filter). I also have a Boss OCB-3 which is too gritty for my taste, but at low settings it is actually usable.
    I also need advice on my effects chain order. I put this list in the order I thought would be best, but I can't be 100% sure until I try it.
    Any input will be appreciated and new suggestions as well. Thanks in advance.

2. Get the Ehx Bass Clone.

Get the new MXR Vintage Bass Octave for your octave.

I think you definitely need an overdrive or fuzz, I just don’t think an OCD is your best option(cuts bass). This depends on your budget and likes, but I don’t think you could go wrong with the new EHX Sovtek Deluxe or Nano Battalion.

Bass>Tuner>Compressor>octave>dirt>envelope>chorus>DI

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  3. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    What's your max budget for the project?

4. BonsaiBass

BonsaiBass

Jan 10, 2012
    I want to have it done in a year from now and I'm thinking 500, 400-ish or less if I can get some more of them used like the mxr preamp D.I. which I got for 80.

5. Zoom MS60 a virtual smorgasbord of bass effects will tell you what you like or don't for shopping and might fulfill many of your needs or you can sell or trade as you go.