Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small pets, give me information you one-toed Tree Sloths!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you're reading this then I'm guessing my frivolously belligerent title worked.

My roommate got a Siamese Beta Fish for our dorm room (named Tripp), he's a great little companion (seems like everyone has one nowadays, my sister got one.) And while that's all well and nice, and Tripp's a great guy, I'm thinking about what I'll do next year when Tripp moves with his owner to another room.

What kind of pet do you think would be best? There won't be much space in my room next year, so it's going to be some kind of animal that can be in a cage, I'd also like something that I could take out and pet. I was thinking of mice (or some other rodent) but they're nocturnal, and I'm apparently allergic to mice (according to tests). Then I was thinking a turtle would be cool, though they can be kind of expensive and high-maintenance. I was also thinking of a Koala bear...though there may be troubles with customs on that one (and climate.....and food....)

What do you think?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    tarantula.

3. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    How do you know your alergic to mice? I have adoopted a wild mouse from my basement: worlds best pet. Clean, intelligent (no kidding). They dislike high frequency but enjoy good baselines. Very unlike pet store mice, which are just for feeding to snakes. Whatever you get, adopt it from a shelter.

4. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    uhhh...take your tarantula or turtle out to pet it? Idontthinkso.

5. Ferret. You can make mazes for it out of empty beer cans.:D

Go with small furry things. But no mice or rats. Gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs are all acceptable chick magnets. Mice and rats are going to get a mixed response. Even gerbils sometimes get shreiks.

If you don't want furry, fish are good. Easy to take care of, and great for staring at during dull moments. Man, a good fish tank can make 2 hours go by in a flash!! Especially if you just watched Finding Nemo.:D

Besides, whales don't eat clown fish, they eat krill. Oh look, krill!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I've heard good things about the miniture Mike Money...although toilet training has been known to be problematic.

7. small lilzards are great pets, as are small turtles (with turtles being much easier to care for).

that being said, ferrets are the best pets ever in my opinion. if you dont believe me, just ask njl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    small pets: ferrets
    big pets: rottweilers

def, his name is gary, right?

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Just pray to God that they don't mate.

brad cook

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Echinda? There's a variety of tiny african hedgehogs that fit on your palm and are ultra cute, they are sold as pets. Not sure about the cage thing, though, ask your pet store.

Otherwise, perhaps a small lizard of some sort, they are cool.

11. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan

Hah! He looks just like mine! It's funny, you wouldnt think so many people had them, but they are showing up all over the place.

Seriously, i think they are a great pet. They are playful, inquisitive, fun, and intelligent. And they are miscevious. They like to steal stuff. Car keys, wallets, shoes, etc. They are a ton of fun. The only problem with them is they poop a LOT.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    uh, yeah...especially when the little f#$%face makes you late for work! worth the writeup!

13. African? Hedgehogs? Palm of hand? What? I hope you're not talking about Echidnas in your second sentence, because they're Australian, they ain't a relation to hedgehogs and they won't fit on the palm of your hand. And, if they are being sold, then you should let the Aussie govt. know.

Leigh

14. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    yeah, he stole my wallet once. with my drivers liscence. the day i managed to get pulled over for a burnt out taillight.

luckily, ours always tends to hide stuff in the same spots. So it only takes a few seconds, once we realize its gone.

15. Well, you couldn't exactly pet the beta fish either.

Smallpet-able pets: Wooley bear Gerbil, Ferret, rat, chinchilas, hedgehogs are wicked cool

small non-petables: geckos, iguanas, axylotil (water puppy), tarantula / walking sticks, another Beta fish...

Mon

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sorry, was talking about African Pygmy Hedgehog's: http://www.fishpondinfo.com/hedgehog.htm - THEY fit on the palm of your hand and are quite legal to sell :)

Someone told me that the term was Echidna in english, but apparently she was wrong..

17. All good. I don't think an echidna would make the best pet, anyway!

Leigh

18. yes njl, his name is gary. :)

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I've owned African hedgehogs. They're smelly, but not nearly as bad as ferrits. I don't like any small pets... from now on, I'm sticking to dogs.

20. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Get a pangolin. Great conversation piece.