1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

small piece of laminate breaking off

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by VJP, Apr 18, 2009.

1. VJP

VJP

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Long time electric player, recently started upright lessons (that old story). Anyway....

I've got a late 50's Kay C1. A small piece of the laminate broke off. Now, if I'm not hyper careful taking it on and off the stand, I keep chipping other little pieces off. Is there an easy repair I can do to stop it from getting worse?

Thanks

IMG_0372.
    IMG_0373.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I can't say anything about the repair, but lose the stand.

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  4. VJP

VJP

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Seriously? Other than the problem I'm having, are upright stands not a good idea?

5. Corners are the best and safest places for basses. Face in.....

6. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That, or just on its side on the floor. My bass has taken plenty of knocks, but never just from putting it down or picking it up. My view is that a stand is an accessory that is often sold with a bass, but is an unnecessary hindrance.

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    What those guys said: if you can't lean it into a corner on the front of its shoulders, put it on its side on the floor with the bridge up against the wall.

I'd rather set up your bass than repair it! :D

8. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just another thought. The "root cause" could be that the entire top ply is loose, making it particularly vulnerable to getting caught on things, including the inside of the bag. This is worth taking a very close look at.

9. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Kay fell off my stand back in high school, and that was the end of that (the stand, not the bass). Yes for corners.. the only part touching the walls should be both upper bout edges, forming a tripod of sorts (two walls + one bass).