small portable bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaunienaise, Apr 29, 2012.

1. shaunienaise

shaunienaise

Dec 22, 2011
    Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of bass amp is compactable yet loud. I want to use it for small band practices... Any recommendations?

2. I don't know of any compactable amps, but compact-sure :D
    Telling us what ur needs are, type of music, budget etc...... will help us help you more.
    Mesa Walkabout is a great compact 1x12 that can have an extension cab added to it.
    Hartke 112 combo. Genz Benz Shuttle combo...... Many available

3. shaunienaise

shaunienaise

Dec 22, 2011
    Hmmm... I love playing The Beatles, RHCP and Led Zeppelin. Budget's around 300? The kinda sound I wanna achieve is like John Paul Jones. I'm using a Fernandez Jazz copy made in the 85 period.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Most amps are compactable.
    Depending though on the way amps are being compacted, not many will be very loud after compacting.
    if you want an amp that is small without being compacted, why not have a look at that newish epifani AL 112,gk mb150,micro mark

5. Not sure which country you're in - so pricing is hard to guage. Go used if you can, you'll get more bang for buck. Check out GK MB combos. I had a GK MB112 - not the most pristine sound in the known universe but is still a great little combo - and LOUD.

6. Fl3tch3rb0y

Fl3tch3rb0y

May 22, 2011
  7. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Look at the GK MB series. Probably the MB112 or MB115. Lot's of love for these on this forum. If you do a search you will be reading all night about these.

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I agree that the new GK MB combos are a good fit for the OP's requirements.

9. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    Mark Bass, small, incredibly loud, light weight

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
  11. dd16

dd16

Dec 23, 2011
    Paris, France
    bassman64: "Mark Bass, small, incredibly loud, light weight"
    I don't think you can find some Markbass stuff at 300 bucks ...

The new Tc electronic BG250 looks very good and is 400 new. You can find lots of soundclips in you tube because it was the test amp at the Musikmesse for Sandbergs products and they filmed a lot.

I'm consedering on selling my Ashdown Mag combo to buy this. Even if they are the same price, the TC seems much clearer and precise, and it is half the weight !

12. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    no, no where near that. I didnt see his second post with a budget at 3 bills.

on another note which MAG do you have. I was looking at the 115C-300 on line but cant find one anywhere to try

13. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    find a pre-buyout SWR workingman 12, and spend the spare change on frontend - bass big muff, b3k, vt bass....
    second choice, if you can get lucky and find one, is the 'kickback' bassman 150 of fairly recent vintage: solid state with the "Eminence" brand label on the grill. This is a very potent amp that for whatever reason did not really fit the Fender mold and got lost in the shuffle.

the newer GK MB's are, from my take, not tough enough to take much abuse. wait about 6 months and you'll be picking them up for next to nada.

then there is the despised.... older Eden Nemesis, or any one of several Hartke combo amps with the Hydrive type drivers - 12's and/or 15's. Right around 300 bucks, condition depending

14. shaunienaise

shaunienaise

Dec 22, 2011
    Thanks for all the recommendations. You guys are awesome man. Thank you

15. bassballs_dk

bassballs_dk

Aug 1, 2009
    Denmark
    I tried some combo amps from Orange, they are as all Orange equipment "very loud"

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021