Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small, Portable PA

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tomass, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    Hey guys, our singer is looking for a amp just for vocals, were only garaging at the moment so nothing to special. Is there any dedicated ones or just a 30 to 50 watt amp should do it?

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Fender, Peavey, Yamaha and I'm sure others have little systems that should work OK for the garage.

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Get Behringer's keyboard amp - around $200 if memory serves. It's small enough that you can use it in the garage, but big enough that you can use it as a monitor (or a keyboard amp... gasp) at a live gig.

Actually, now that I said that, you might consider getting a powered floor monitor. A JBL Eon would be super for that.

4. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    yer thanks for the info guys, how many watts would it need to be. like my 400watt rig will be coming in tommorow, but the guitarists only have 10 wat amps and 30 watt amps. Playing metal, but i will turn my self down any way. The guitarists plan on getting 100-150 watt amps this year anyway so what would be good for a microphone?

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Please tell me that you have a big PA in storage somewhere that's too big to be practical for rehearsals.

Seriously, though, you shouldn't need 400W for rehearsals, and your guitarists shouldn't need 100+ watts for rehearsals either. Now if your amps are doing double duty - live and practice, then go for it. My 60W combo got stolen, so I'm having to use my stage rig for rehearsals...

Just don't get loud for rehearsals, please. Do yourselves a favor and keep the volume down as much as possible. Makes communication easier, makes blending and playing together simpler and less stressful, and it's also a LOT easier on your ears.

Oh, and if you want a PA for live use, trust me - invest in sometihng that can at least put the vocals, guitars, and a little bit of drums through it without breaking a sweat. Makes your sound a great deal more consistent and professional. If you pick up some subs, you can go into the PA and help kick the crowd in the chest with bass!

Just my opinion, from years of trying the "vocals only through the PA" route.