Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I want a small power amp to go with an Avalon U5. My speakers are 2 Epifani UL1X10's and I don't like the way the bigger stuff hangs over the sides. It is 17 inches wide, any body got any suggestions? Thanks ,Marc

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    There are amps only 1/2 rack space in width but they probably won't deliver enough power to drive your cabs well. The area you want to focus your research towards are amps used to drive the monitors in the recording booth itself or in home A/V.

Another option would be to buy something like a WW head and bypass the pre section with your U5.

Another option would be to rotate your cabs 90 degrees. ;)

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I’ve actually talked with Jim Bergantino a number of times over the years about someone (him) coming out with a amp setup like what your asking for. We talked about a whole preamp/poweramp with other rack equipment that could be added or taken away from the rack to personalize it for each player. (amp, basic preamp, parametric, DI, byamp, etc)

Its something still in the back of my mind and I've thought of all the different units that can be added to build a system. Then to offer a half wide rack or rack bag to carry it in.

Might be something to work on, but right now I'm working on my True-Voice Tube preamp with Les from Kern.

I'd love to hear from anyone that knows of a half rack space amp with some power!

4. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    oh yeah i forgot about those.....but in the states they're uber-expensive, but everyone seems to rave about them

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... what's a "True-Voice Tube Preamp"? Is that the resurrected IP-777 that Kern ElectroDynamics is supposed to resume shipping soon? Or another bass preamp that Les Plopa has cooked up?

I spoke with Flynn Guitars a couple weeks ago about the IP-777 (I've had one for several years and love it)... he (I forget his name offhand) mentioned that the IP-777 is supposed to start up again, but didn't mention anything about another pre.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    No this isn't the new Kern that Les is coming out with which will be amazing as was the first Kern he Engineered.

This is actually a preamp I had wanted to have built for a number of years, but didn't have any one to Engineer it for me. When talking with Les I mentioned what I would love to have built and he got really excited, actually so excited that when I called him back a few weeks later he told me he had already started payout the preamp!

Flynn Guitars won't know anything about the preamp, because its actually a LowEnd product not a Kern product.

Hope that helps, sorry for the confusion.

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Brian, that helps to clear it up... and of course raises the question of just what this new Les-engineered preamp is! Any details you could share?

Also... any details on the new IP-777? From that conversaion with Flynn, it sounds like it's the same as the old one, the only difference being that the Bright and Deep switches have 3 positions instead of 2. Anything else, as far as you know?

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Les is actually making quite a few changes to the old preamp. They are all upgrades and nothing that will change his original design in tone, but there are a number of small things he has added to make this unit better for all situations.

The True-Voice preamp is talked about on my site under distribution. I talked to Les today even about it and it is going to be wonderful. The proto-type will be done soon, but he is in the progress of moving to a new shop and everything is stopped right now. Once the proto-type is complete I will test it out and make whatever changes I want to the unit and then the final product will be built. I’m planning on two units, a small more compact True-Voice pre and the standard. I’m going to have Incase design the carrying case, which is planned to be like a barn style lunch box with the flip top.

I’m really excited about it. I’ve been wanting this for a number of years and anyone that knows my views on preamps and all the parametric eq crap knows I’m a purest when it come to preamps and rack mount gear. I believe the instrument should speak not your rack.

Anyway, keep an eye out......

http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/lowendpreamp.htm

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I saw this today, it's made to go with a buttkicker (sub-shaker), but I was wondering if it would work for a bass rig....

ButtKicker amp

It's geared toward home A/V, but it would be cool if it worked out.

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I might order one of those from Guitar Center and give you all feedback. Looks great if it will work!!!

12. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    anyone try one of these guitammer power amps yet? Marc

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Did get the Buttkicker amp in and tried it out as a poweramp. Unfortunitly is doesn't work well for an amp for powering your cab's if you want clearity. its a very dark amp and tuff to get high's out of. Would be great with a bi-amp setup where its driving the lowend, because it has some lowend power.

I'm getting the floor pad you stand on to check out. These are suppose to be killer. I talked with Buttkicker and they have sent me all the dealer paperwork.

I'll let you all know how it works out for those interested, but those that I have talked to rave about the setup.