Small power amps and big watts...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacochops, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    What small power amps are out there besides the AI 600? I am wanting to get one of Brian Barrett's LowEnd preamps (which, BTW, is THE finest bass sound I've heard to date, including my WW head...kudos to Brian!), and I'd like to add a small power amp to it, but I don't want to pay the 1000$ it takes to get one, honestly....are there any other amps with 300-400 watts of power, a small WW-sized (or maybe a little larger) footprint available, or is 1000 bucks the price of admission?
  2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I was actually getting on this forum just now to ask this very same question. Is there any alternative to the Acoustic Image power amp out there? I'm on a big portability kick right now.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    After much research, I am just about to buy an ART SLA-1, which is 260 Watts bridged into 8 Ohms, 13 pound single rack space package, $200 street price. Having seen pictures of its innards, this amp is built like a tank. I will be using this amp with my DIY preamp.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Stewart & Peavey make some one rack size power amps; I'm not sure how much they run, probably used would be the best buy.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you don't mind a rackmount, check out a Soundtech PS802. There were a few guys here on the board that use them and speak very highly of them. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find them.

Here are some specs:
    One rack space
    15.8 lbs.
    H x W x D 1.72" x 19" x 15.4
    4 0hms: 2 x 400W
    8 0hms: 2 x 230W
    8 0hms Bridge Mono: 800W
    $450-$530 new
    You can get them even cheaper on Ebay at times.
  6. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Thanks for the replies, guys...however, I'm looking for an amp that is not as wide as a rackmountable amp....about the same size footprint as an Eden Traveller, Mesa Walkabout, WW amp, etc...
    There HAS to be something.... :help:
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

you might as well get a Focus 600, and plug into the effects loop. you can use the power section, and yet still have a preamp section to use just in case.
  8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes, there is something.

It is here.

I keep trying to find one at the same time that I have money for one. Unfortunately the time is not now.

Time is running out, they are not in production any more.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was about to suggest that older, 1/2 rack space Stewart...
  10. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I know that Mika has built a small poweramp based on the Powersoft DigiMod 500 amp module. He posted a picture here somewhere together with a SansAmp Bass DI. That one comes out cheaper even if you have someone put the parts together for you.

Edit: I found the pic:
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm also very interested in this. I'd love to see Epifani come out with an XP-L50 which would be just the power section of the UL502 in the same size box. Any company for that matter making a small, powerfull poweramp would be great. Something that doesn't need to be rackmounted. I'd personally love this so that I could use a Mellenia Media TD-1 as a preamp and just put it on top of a small poweramp. If it were voltage switchable that'd be even better. I'd also like to see something that isn't class D. The only class D amp that I've heard and liked has been the electracoustic Walter Woods amps and Walter won't make just a poweramp version. I really hope to see the market go this way.