1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small powered studio monitors as bass practice amp?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by The Diaper Geni, Sep 8, 2008.

1. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Here's the deal. My home stereo is dead. Kaput. Fini. Done.

So I need a new home stereo. And I got to thinkin'. (Always a bad idea.) If I got a small mixer and some powered studio monitors, could I just practice through the studio monitors?

I could use the small mixer and practrice to CD's, tapes, drum machine, or whatnot. Maybe even use the mixer to record my practice sessions. (As painful as that will be to listen back to. :eek:) Volume isn't really an issue as much as sound "quality".

As a total newb to the world of studio stuffs, is this a bad idea? Any comments? Ideas? Yes? No?

2. MargoBaggins

MargoBaggins

Sep 8, 2008
    Leeds, UK
    i used to practise throuhg my monitors alot, if you got an active pre its alright. i used to practise through some wharfedale diamond 8.1 actives and a wharfedale powercube12 sub. i only used to do it when i went back to my parents and only took speakers - its not as nice as an amp.

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is a common setup in music schools, small mixer with a couple powered speakers. Easy to plug CD's player, instruments, mic, etc, just about anything.

4. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Thanks guys!

Looking for convenience, and also looking to kill two birds with one stone: Use the set-up for a home stereo and a practice amp/tool.

Is there any reason that powered studio monitors would be better than powered PA tops?

5. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Usually , powered studio monitors are gonna be less powerfull and more fragile .

I always practice on my studio monitors and I use a Powered "PA"/"monitor" as my bass amp in live situation. ( Mackie and RCF )

6. themeanxtime

themeanxtime

Sep 10, 2008
    If you are looking to just practice that is not a bad idea. If you practice with a Cd or whatever it would also make it easier for you to adjust levels between your bass and the CD you are listening to.