Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small practice/learning amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by princeadr, May 17, 2005.

1. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    Can anyone give me advice on a small (30 watts or less) amp to use for learning bass parts and playing along with a record, CD, tape. Or is there some other tool besides an amp that could be used to practice with. I don't want to take my band rig back and forth. Is it OK to use a guitar amp (eg Vox Pathfinder 15R) at very low volumes? Or would I risk damaging the speaker even at low volumes. I've done it a few times with no ill effects so far. Oh by the way I want it cheap! :hyper:

2. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Play through guitar amp until either (a) it blows, or you find an amp to suit you. You don't state what your price range is. I own a Tascam BT-1. It's a good tool to play with your Cds as well as changing keys. It has a tuner and can loop or slow down a riff so you can learn it. The BT-1 runs about $160.00

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    look for a fender bassman 25 on ebay;)

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Beat me to it! :p I have the Fender RAD Bass combo amp, which is extremly similar to the Bassman 25. It doesn't get stupid loud, but the tone is really quite excellent, and it's a great little practice amp. It even has RCA inputs for a CD player.

That said, if you have access to a guitar amp, and you keep the volume down low and don't crank the bass, you shouldn't do any damage to the amp. Of course, you may have some difficulty hearing the low B (if you play a 5 string).

5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    korg pandora px4b, tascam bt-1, as above

6. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
  7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Seek and you shall find so sayeth God. So, get on Ebay and locate a discontinued Ampeg BA-110. 30 watt 1x10" combo, which sounds like an Ampeg (awesome). Has the inputs for your CD player as well as headphones so only you will know how bad you play. Great little practice companion IMO.... :eyebrow:

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1

I use the CDBTMKII from Tascam and I can't tell you how much faster I've been able to pick out bass line and riffs. Amazing little tool and worth every dime!! Brand new can be had for about $150...maybe less on the 'bay.

http://www.andysmusiconline.com/Tascam_CDBT1MKII_Phrase_Trainer_p/tascam_cdbt1mkii.htm

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...and I have one of these for band practice when I don't wanna bring out the heavy artillery

10. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I got a little 1X8 Dean Markley KB? something? (don't remember the exact model) new for 75 bucks off of ebay a few years back. It weighs almost nothing and is like 12X10X6? dimensionally. Sounds terrific for what it is.

11. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    fender should make a bass amp version of that new guitar practice amp that they have... The one with the built in effects, drum machine, etc....

12. Rod Torfulson

Rod Torfulson

Mar 10, 2004
    Toronto
    I second the Peavy Microbass. It's a great little amp that is suprisingly loud. Best of all I find that its sound is very punchy and quite warm for a solid state amp. My only complaint is that it lacks a master volume knob. The only way to adjust volume is via the input gain knob.

13. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    What about Roland Bass Cube 30?
    A friend of mine has been very impressed with this one against others in the shop, sound and volume wise.

[​IMG]

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    swr baby blue...most excellent, but not cheap;)

15. When I first started playing, I used a ~15w Radian guitar amp for a year or so with no problems. The thing sounded pretty distorted all the time, even at low volumes, but it served its purpose and kept me thumping until I could talk my parents into buying me a real bass amp. I ended up with an 80w Peavey combo which I'm still using ~7 years later, so +1 to anyone who suggested Peavey. For price + performance + durability, you can't really beat them.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The same could be said fo the Phil Jones Briefcase. I was just playing through mine a little bit over lunch, and it always puts a smile on my face!

Tom.

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Tombo, just looked at your blog. I thought I was a gear-o-holic...sheesh!

18. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    That Tascam machine looked interesting but I read some posts somewhere that took issue with its reliability as well as whether it does all the things it is supposed to do. The newer version has more bells and whistles but if it is not reliable it might be safer to just go with a small amp.

19. I used a Peavey Rage 158 guitar amp for about a year and a half with a passive bass, altho when i got my active (EDA) it just say farting too much, so i got a Firebass and 410, i never had any trouble with using the guitar amp other than it sounding pants

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hmmm, I haven't heard of any reliability issues with the MKII.

It's pretty new, maybe 6-7 months old, so I'd be surprised at any defects.

Mine works fantastic...and still under warranty.