1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

small preamp/signal blender?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tony moore, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Can anyone recommend a really small dealie that can blend the signals from a mic and piezo pup? I'd like something battery powered that's small enough to mount on the bass, behind the tailpiece perhaps?

I'm using a Fishman Full Circle, but also have a K&K mic I'd like to be able to use when the environment suits.

I've been using a Raven Labs PMBII for years, but am trying to avoid having a bunch of cables hanging off my bass...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tony

2. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    DTAR solstice?

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    There's the K&K- BobG sells them- but compared to some preamps they're rather noisy. They're a simple design using an TL071, I seem to recall.

4. I owned the Solstice. Nice unit, but: (a) too big, (b) won't run off batteries, and (c) I already own a similar unit.

Good tip on the K&K, and good advice on the noise :)

Maybe I should just make a nice cable to go to the PMB...

Thanks!

Tony

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    LR Baggs MixPro. Also try the Pickup the World units. I've never tried one myself but they look tiny.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Suggestion...... use one pickup with one cable. I'm not
    sure how the blender has an effect on how many pickups
    you want to use. The PMB II is about as good a blender
    as you'll find. But cables on the bass? Two pickups, two cables.

7. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    One of my basses has exactly the same setup. Golden Bullet and full circle going to a PMB. I bought a 1/4" stereo jack, wired the FC to the tip, mic to the ring and one stereo wire connects it to the PMB. Works fine.