1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

small quality amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, May 2, 2006.

1. hey guys i thought of posting this in the upright section since it does partially deal with uprights, but i thought i'd ask here first, since i trust you guys more with electronic stuff :) the title says it all, i'm looking for a small (preferably lightweight) amp, for jazz and acoustic gigs, all low volume stuff, so a lot of power is not nessecary, but quality sound is a must. i'll be using it mostly for upright (the majority of my gigs) but also at home and a bit live for electric, so i need something that can handle both. i don't play five string so i don't need to be able to handle a low b. the models i've been looking at are the phil jones briefcase, an acoustic image combo (pricey defiantly the best i've played on for upright, but not a fan of electric sound through it, maybe placing a preamp before it would clear that up), an ampeg portabass250 with a 1x10 cab of sometime, the ashdown radiator 1, and i'm also considering just a full range powered speaker. that's my ramble, i'll get up to david gage (about 2 hours from here) sometime to try out the phil jones and the acoustic image) any other suggestions or comments on the amps listed?

2. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    IMHO, I would try a GK-150MBS its 100watts w/ a single 12" weighs in at 24 lbs. I have a friend in NYC who has played an upright acoustic bass and an vintage Ampeg Baby Bass for many years he has made great sounds with this GK amp. I have had this amp since 1998 and used it for many a lower volume electric bass gig too !

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1 on the MB150 combo amps. Mine has served me for both upright and electric, for about eight years.

4. oh man forgot to put that in the list! i have considered it, but the times i have gotten to play through it i've never been very happy with my tone through it , but i intend to give it another shot

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm using a Thunderfunk and Schroeder 1210, and I really, really like it. I've tired a looooooot of stuff over many years, and finding something that I'm "all the way happy with" for both DB and electric took a long time and a lot of frustration. And cash.
    If it's a combination you can try, you ought to. You won't find many other DB guys using this combination, but as you've noted, many of them kinda stay over there and focus on AI or other "DB specific" gear.

HTH's chef...

6. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the GK MB150 is the industry standard for DB amplification for good reasons. it simply works well.

and it is still the only amp i know of that goes in bag strapped over your shoulder. that's portability!

however, it does colour the sound. that's what happens when you try to get band volume out of a tiny cab.

the sound colour interacts nicely with DB piezos imho!

i find it also quite nice with my classic built bass guitar. i'd say a fender will sound good trough it, too.

but i don't like what the GK does with the sound of my neuser 6-string.

bottom line:

-it is the most portable amp still
    -good for DB
    -good for non-hifi electric
    -not so for expensive basses, you will not hear what you have paid for.

get one.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    While they don't make them new anymore, the swr baby blue II 2x8 is a fine amp for this purpose...

8. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    The Acoustic Image amps are great. I'm using an older Clarus. 100w at 8 ohm, 200 at 4, 300 at 2. Not overly powerful but terrific sound. I use it mainly for upright but I like the sound I get with electric as well. My teacher let me borrow one for some gigs and I liked it so much I bought one here on TB fo a very reasonable price. It's under 5lbs and smaller than the GK. If you want to spend a little more $ the new ones are much more powerful. Good luck.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 These are great amps. I also didn't see the EA combos on your list (or did I miss them?), but they should definitely be on your short list. If you are willing to consider a "powered speaker" approach, then you just have to listen to the Bergantino IP112.

Tom.

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Tom wrote:"If you are willing to consider a "powered speaker" approach, then you just have to listen to the Bergantino IP112"

oh heck yeah!

11. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    if you have an active electric bass with suficient EQing onboard you could even use a powered speaker w/o any preamp, and add a preamp for DB.

i did buy the GK MB150 for its portability, not for how super great it sounds.

if there was a powerful active cab with 10"+tweeter in the weight, size, price and volume range of the GK, i'd probably prefer that.

12. thanks a lot for your replies guys, i checked out the ea stuff but the only thing close to my price range is teh wizzy (which is plenty of power) but still pushing it on the cash part. do any of you know of any good 10" cabinets, the only one i've found is the eden, which i've tried, and dig. i'd rather not go for a combo, although it seems it might be the best way to go for db. what small heads are out there, besides eden and the ampeg portabass series? the powered speaker is looking nice, i'd jsut need to find a good preamp to match it up with. i'm trying to keep this all under a grand, preferably closer to 800, but i'm only looking for 100 watts or so of power.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd have to think that the Phil Jones Briefcase is really going to hit the nail on the head for you, then.

Tom.

14. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I have to weigh in on this one...the SWR Baby Baby Blue amp, for me, is the way to go for URB/EUB with a great electric bass tone, as well. I actually have one up for sale in the double bass classifieds for 525.00. I am giving up playing upright due to some pretty severe hearing loss, so I'm going full-time EB. The tone is KILLER, and very portable, and puts out 160 watts in a tiny, tiny package.

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    One of the things I like best about it is the 5" mid driver: no icky tweeter...

16. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    if one likes the new 10" baby baby blue, he should a/b it with the WM 10, preamp bypassed. the price difference will appear hard to justify.