Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazzin', May 6, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Okay, I'm planning on getting a SansAmp Bass Driver DI really soon. I just have a small general question about effects pedals of any kind which use power...
    With a passive bass, but with one(ore more) effects pedals which have a power supply(either 9V battery or AC plug), would I have to plug the end of the chain into the active or passive 1/4" hole on the amp? I'm just scared that I might end up sending too much energy into the passive input by accident, if I were to do that.

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    You can plug it into either. The Active is just there in case you are overdriving the amp's preamp. If you cannot get a good clean sound in the passive input, try the active. I personally alway plug into the passive input - and I use all active basses and loads of effects.

3. That's been my experience as well.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Use the passive. Only use the active if you're overdriving the poweramp. It generally has a -10dB or -15dB pad.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Ok thanks to you all!