Small rant and a little advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 3, 2004.

1. For all the high-school students out there, don't take the promise of getting into college based on advanced classes too seriously.

GPA is what matters in the long run. I'm taking all IB (international baccaloreate) classes and I've been getting rejected from all the colleges near me. (having some luck in new england though) I'm watching my friends who are taking mostly regular classes get into all the colleges I'm rejected from, even though their SATs are mostly lower.

Just take the dummy classes and get the easy As (I've had about 2-3 through my 4 years--all As).

Forget about the Advanced classes, they'll just hurt you in the long run. I should have just taken the regular classes with all the illegal immigrants who weren't educated in their native countries. arg.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    i had a friend who had a 4.0 since middle school but he kept getting turned down to great colleges while dumb jocks got into Stanford.

not implying all jocks are dumb but i personally knew this one and he did not know his head from his a@@hole.

dont sweat it man, even if those classes wont get you full paid scholarships, the should more than meet the requirements of the school.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dumb jocks go to alot of schools, Stanford is NOT one of them.

4. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Penn State is...(where's the blow your brains out smiley?)
  5. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    I must agree with you on this one. I took all IB/honor classes for my grade 10 years and I barely passed some classes. I decided to drop honors in my grade 11 year, and took regular class instead. I'm in my grade 12 year now and my marks have greatly improved since then, but I still barely got admitted into university.
  6. well... the school system is all messed up... i'd leave it at that, 'cept i gotta say these reasons y high school is screwy now adays:

1. ppl come to america, cant speak english, makes every1 else suffer cuz some students cant take the language!
    2. you cant understand half the things that are goin on, cuz half the things (posters and announcements) are in spanish
    3. there are no more rules, just a bunch of pansies who cant do anything but whine
    4. kids are weak now, in gym they play badmitten! wat ever happened to the good ol' takle football?
    5. ... every1 always complain about money problems, its ez to fix, fire some admin. (at my school we have 8 principals)

there i said it, sure it might seem harsh but who cares... i know these things, im in high school myself, 15 years old
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    After twelve years in school and now coming into the home-stretch of my first year of college, I'll say this about HS. First, don't stress out about being uber-competetive about everything. The people I know who did NOTHING but study are all either miserable at home goin' to community college or are incapable of making friends at the colleges they did go to. My advice for someone going into high school or in it right now would be to do what you need to do and do it well, but NEVER forget to have fun. You only get your youth once, don't waste it. Also, don't worry about what the other people are doing or where they're all going to college. I'm the only person from my graduating class going to HSU. A bunch of people back home told me I was crazy/dumb for going here. But you know what? While my best friend sits at home on Friday nights playing video games and waiting for everyone to come back from college, I'm goin' to my buddies' jam band gig or playin' in the Jammer's League.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is: Don't worry what anyone else says or does. Just get done what you need to get done as well as you can and go where you can be happy and everything else will work itself out.

Oh, and Tym2cu_bass, if you have a problem reading signs because they're in spanish, I'd suggest learning the language. It never hurt anyone to be bi-lingual, just ask some of the non-Native-English-Speaking TBers. And trust me, the money problems come from a lot more than just the administrators. But this isn't the lounge, so I'm not gonna go there.
  8. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Of course, the irony here is that this rant is brought to you by someone who is only just barely able to pass this off as written communication in the mother tongue (which I assume is either leet-speek or english, I can't really tell) that he's so proud of that he belittles people that come to american and can't speak english.

I can't understand half of what I read on the net on messageboards anymore; and, by and large, most of the people that I see writing like they belong in a special education class are current high school or middle school students like yourself.

Most everything is adapted to meet the lowest common denominator lately, and public school systems are leading that charge, I agree; but I don't think it's exactly fair to blame all this on immigrants. Instead, why don't we blame it on the fact that Americans are basically bred into laziness and taught that it's okay to blame whatever's wrong with their world on other people? I kind of think that would be a much more accurate depiction of where the problem lies than to say that "skools r stoopid becuz of all the mexcans n chinees peple."

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Shame on you!

10. knight

Nov 3, 2002

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    (insert loud applause here)

12. They never mixed the kids who couldn't speak english with regular students at my old public high school, they were all put in the ESL classes. Guess my school just didn't have a large amout of immigrants :meh:
  13. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    I didnt like school, my advice is leave asap and go to a more relaxed environment, of course, your school might be totally different to what mine was like, so take what i say with a grain of salt

14. :mad:

(See profile quote!)

(Unless you're saying that there are many dumb people at PSU and you go here, in which case I agree :) )
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    While we are on the subject of getting accepted into college, I was wondering what you guys thought of my chances of getting accepted are. I recently submitted my admissions material to a college, and I'm anxiously awaiting their reply. The thing I'm scared about is when I was in HS, I was a business student, not an academic one. I was the top business student of my graduating class; I won numerous accolades for outstanding achievement, I was an honor roll student, I was student of the month, I was involved in extra-cirrcular activites. But I'm scared that they'll turn me down based on being an business student; I never took algebra or a language. Instead I took accounting, computer science, and law. It's not a requirement to have a language to be accepted to this school, (though it is a requirement to recieve a BA from it) but I'm just worried that they'll turn me down because of it. I did write an excellent admissions essay, send excellent transcripts from my previous school (which isn't an accredited institution, but they told me to send them anyway to help make a decision for the admissions, I think I graduated with like a 93 or 94), and requested a letter of recommendation from someone I know would write a good one. I didn't submit SATs because the school doesn't require you to if you have been out of HS for more than 3 years. Admissions aren't too competitve at the school, but I just worry about getting accepted. The closest community college is about 2 hours away, so convience is a big factor.

Sorry, I'm just worried. ;)
  16. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey! you're late for the klan rally! go on now!

17. sTr8 oUttA dA iViE LEeG y0!

Anyhow, having served time in a number of institutions of higher learning, I can say that there is a mixture of idiots and really brilliant people in nearly all of them. This diversity seems to keep the campus environment interesting.

When I graduated from high school in 1996, I got admitted at every school to which I applied (including Stanford, Cal, UCLA, UChicago). Now I'm a youth minister and it seems as if things have gotten quite a bit more competitive since those days (almost 10 years ago--yikes!). I see the high school kids being strategic about the classes they choose, as well as their extracurricular activities, and it's sort of weird. I guess I'm not down with the idea that a person should choose a course with more academic rigor so he/she can get into a better school. I'm sure something can be said here about seeing education as a means vs. as an end, but I'll just end here.
  18. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    And another thing; what's it matter if you take badmitten instead of football in gym class? I always thought the fact that it's a state requirement (at least here in PA) to pass gym class, but not reading class is asinine.
  19. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, there are both smart and dumb people at just about every university.

Anybody who doesn't get into some kind of college just isn't trying. Colleges are businesses, and they want your money. If you have poor grades, just send applications to schools you can afford, including the ones you've never heard of, and eventually one will let you in. They still get your money if you flunk out, so many schools will take a chance on marginal students. If you do get in, and do good work, then you can try transferring to someplace with an impressive name. If you flunk out, consider trying again later when you are ready to do the work.