Small rig (*ahem) advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stephen Russell, Aug 9, 2022.

1. I’m looking to put together a 1x12 rig for small gigs and band rehearsal. I’ve always had decent luck with Hartke cabs, so planned on getting a HL112 that I found for a good price locally.

Currently I am using an EBS Reidmar 750, which is utterly fantastic but has enough horsepower to restart a dying sun. Is that safe to use with a 300w 1x12 or will it damage the speaker, should I consider finding a smaller amp?

mikewalker and JC Nelson like this.
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The Reidmar 750 is rated as 700 watts RMS into a 4 ohms minimum load. Unfortunately, EBS doesn't note how many watts it delivers into an 8 ohms load (such as the HL112) but it's most likely more than the 300 watts RMS that the cab is rated for. You could use them together, but you'd need to be careful.
    https://media1.ebssweden.com/2016/05/EBS_Reidmar750_manual.pdf

Lo-E, SJan3, MCF and 4 others like this.
  3. You could damage that speaker if you drive it too hard with that amp.
    You could also possibly damage it with a 250 watt amp if you crank the bass up and drive it too hard as well.
    Use it sensibly and it will be fine.

4. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    At the volume levels you should be playing, it should be no problem.

Stephen Russell likes this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO keep the amp and get a more efficient speaker.

The EBS will most likely have more than enough power to destroy the HL112. AFAIK Hartke does not post sensitivity specs, and I believe the sensitivity is fairly low. If that is true, you may drive it into destruction before it actually gets loud enough to meet your needs. Not a good recipe IMHO.

I own an old GK 700RB/112. The amp makes 225W at 8 ohms, which makes the 12 jump around like crazy. I have used it for cover band situations. While no one complained, I found it pretty unsatisfying and wanted more volume. I started bringing a second cab and it was fine.

I think you will be much happier with an efficient 210. I toured with an Eden D210XLT and about 250W. It was plenty for my needs and way louder than the GK.

A key factor is the Eden has an unusually high 103dB 1W/1m sensitivity rating. This means if you feed the speaker 1W and measure at a distance of 1m, you get 103dB. For each doubling of power assume the SPL goes up another 3dB. In others 1W =103dB, 2W = 106dB, 4W = 109dB etc.

I am not suggesting a D210XLT as that is a fairly large and heavy cab at 68lbs. But hopefully the following SPL numbers will be useful. The D210XLT makes a calculated 127dB with 250W. I believe my cutoff for minimum SPL is about 124dB. Anything less and it will seem like I don't have enough headroom. Of course this SPL requirement is context specific. I don't need this much volume for jazz trio.

If you simply must have a 112: Mesa Subway 112 has a 97.5dB 1W/1m sensitivity rating and is rated for 400W. At full power the calculated SPL is right at 124dB. I believe a series IV GK NEO 112 has a sensitivity rating of 98dB 1W/1m and is rated for 400W. So this cab should also put you at about 124dB.

Good luck!

Katoosie, Zak TMD, agedhorse and 2 others like this.
  6. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    well, I've used a Reidmar 750 into a Neoline 112 for a while, it's also a 300W-rated cab. other then "don't make it louder than the speaker is able to handle and perhaps use a limiter", everything is fine. 50W isn't that much, but Reidmar can be very loud, especially if you use the 'Drive' control, so use your ears and eyes to determine, if the cab is okay. a HPF could be also helpful.

I ended up getting a Reidmar 502, as 750 was too loud for my needs. it doesn't sound exactly the same tho, so if you adore your 750, just keep the volume down.

skyline_01 and Stephen Russell like this.
  7. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I believe, it does (or did at the product's page which is now gone). 350W RMS into 8 ohms.

it's the well-known ICEpower 700 in that amp (except for not adapted for 2.7 ohms use).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    AlexanderB likes this.
  8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    The pressmaterial and dealer material says the Reidmar 750 delivers 350 W into 8 ohms.

9. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL

10. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    Let me add: Used Eden D-210-XLTs can be had relatively inexpensively. It’s well tuned cab. I’ve been using one for 11 years now. Built like a truck, made for the road.

rutrho, Wasnex, SJan3 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I use a 500 watt amp into a driver that would shred itself if I cranked up the gain, no worries. I bet if you actually put the actual rated RMS wattage from, let’s say, your A string, into most cabs, they would die.
    Ignore the numbers, use your ears, you’ll be fine

Stephen Russell and 31HZ like this.
  12. No problem at all. [email protected] to [email protected] is just about optimal.
    If you hear that the cab goes to unwanted distortion, turn the volume down. If you no longer hear any real difference in perceived volume while turning up the master knob, back the master a bit. That's about all safety regulations I know of. (I never burned a speaker though. I remember back in the days there was a lightbulb - as a fuse - installed into non-factory cabs we were using. Sometimes it flashed, never burned either. Since that time I never played so loud.)

AlexanderB, Stephen Russell and MCF like this.
  13. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Use a high pass filter and common sense and you’ll be fine with that cab.

Lammchop93 and Stephen Russell like this.
  14. I have been feeding a 500 watt rms (at 4 ohms) amp into a 200 watt rms 15 inch cab for most of my life. It's an 8 ohms cab so the amp according to the manufacturer delivers 250 watts into it. I never needed to set the amp higher than halfway on the master. I should get a 2x10 or something for big stages to add to it but I haven't been active in the gigging scene for a while. My rig just sounds nice and is loud enough for most settings. It can fill a room but it lacks power for a huge outdoor stage. But there's PA for that and it's just a stage monitor for me in that case.

The amp is a Tech Soundsystems made by the guy who makes Eich amplification, the cab is a ampeg 1x15. I just love the sound of that combination.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  15. Al Rivera

Al Rivera

Mar 20, 2021
    This is my small rig, a markbass 1x12 and a mesa d800. The markbass is 400 watts and weighs 29 pounds. 20210305_131936.jpg 20210305_131936.jpg

DJ Bebop, Murch, SJan3 and 2 others like this.
  16. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I've been using amplifiers with 2 to 3 times the cabinet's thermal rating for years. It's a matter of listening to (and sometime watching) the speaker.
    Forest Gump's mother knew what the outcome could be.

Al Rivera and Killing Floor like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Any amp can damage almost any speaker. Plug in and start at low level and be conservative. Or get a less powerful head.

Black Out Jazz and Al Rivera like this.
  18. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Just don’t turn it up too far. Maybe watch how much lows you are pushing. Consider a 250-300w d class amp. I am in the same situation, I bought a Hartke HD210 cab. Light, easy to move around, loud, clean

19. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Use a lot of common sense and a lot of your ears and you’ll be fine. Or, pop for a Mesa Subway 112 and you’ll be sittin pretty. They work well for vertical orientation as well and IMO look better in that position as a stand-alone cab. Handles 400 watts RMS @ 8 ohms. OR… save a little bit more and pick up a Subway 115… it’s even better and not much larger of a footprint.

Al Rivera likes this.
  20. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    They're great cabs but they are HEAVY!!
    I had 2 of them for years but eventually sold them as I got weaker due to a bad back.
    But if you're robust enough, they are worth the schlep.

Wasnex likes this.