1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

small rig for jazz / multitasking

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Musicfreak1988, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Dear all,

I'm in search of a good rig that will do well for jazz - I play electric only (swing, bebop, etc..., but also fusion). I'd like it to be as small as possible, preferably a 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet and a light-weight head like the LM-family or the Shuttle-family.

Now, as for the multitasking: from time to time, I have to accompany singers while I play the piano for weddings, background-jazz/easy listening stuff. From time to time, it happens that both the pianosounds and the vocals are going through my rig, serving as a monitor or even as a stand-alone PA system.

I once used an Eden 210XST to do the two things above, and while it did a good job, I still thought of it as too heavy and also a tad too loud.

(I do have a 4x10 setup (Eden Navigator preamp, QSC 2402 power amp, Eden 410XLT cab), but besides its weight, it's actually too big for most of the jazz stuff I do and it's overkill to use in a church or reception-type gigs.)

So, basically, I'm looking for a small, light setup that will handle an electric bass in a jazz context, but is also capable of being (ab)used as a monitoring / small PA system for piano and vocals...

I'm thinking of a Shuttle 6.0 with an Epifani UL112, and while I'm quite convinced it will do the jazz (bass) thingy very good, I'd like to know if someone has tried to use it for piano and vocals...

I'm not partial to this setup, so I'm glad to hear different opinions and/or recommendations as well!
    EDIT: I'll be using a Sadowsky NYC jazz in passive mode, maybe that's handy to know...

Thanks in advance!

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I do something similar with an EA Micro 300 head driving a Bag End S15 XD. You have to scoop the EQ for the low, low's as the Bag is bass shy. Other than that it works great.

3. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    look into an SWR California Blonde. I played through one a week ago, it sounded great for double bass and electric bass. It has two channels so if you ever wanted to run the piano and vocals you could do that easily, it has reverb as well and its not too heavy. If you need to play a larger venue, you can run an external 8-ohm cab. I was very impressed- especially for the money.
    Jon

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have just the rig. I have a setup just like you're after.

A Roland Cube 100. 100 watts, 1-12, Reverb, Digital Delay, compression and other effects. I have a small Behringer like six mixer. We have used it for rehearsal, running three mics into the mixer into the amp, with reverb. Sounds great, and you can use an 8 ohm extension speaker if you want. Like a small PA speaker on a pole. Also, it's a combo. No need for head and speaker.

I have a funny attitude about the Roland. It seldom comes up as a suggestion for a bass amp. But, the unit is quite impressive in being portable, very flexible, loud, good bass response. (Better than the Schroeder Mini 12+ I had for a while.)

I have a bigger Markbass setup for bigger applications. In terms of flexibility and the criteria you have stated (which I had set out to satisfy), the Roland with a little $80 mixer works very well.

5. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm a big fan of the Cube 100, just know that when you add an extension speaker it actually lowers the power because the speaker out jack is wired in series.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I sat in on practices a few times with a reggae band I did sound for. The keyboard player used a Carvin AG100 onstage, and at some of the lower-volume practices also sent vocals and bass guitar through it. Best implementation I ever recall seeing of a superlight mixer/PA/enclosure that sounded good for all three instruments. Amazing how loud it could be onstage too - it costs way too little!

Carvin AG100D 100W ACOUSTIC GUITAR AMP WITH DIGITAL EFFECTS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yeah, the Cube100 is impressive. So are the D-Bass series. Roland can't get arrested in Bassland no matter how good they do it ; }

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Off-topic I know, but another thing I loved about this band was that the guitarist used a teensy little amp with maybe a 8" or 10" speaker and not many watts, which at gigs I would mic. It always sounded GREAT. No overblowing the rest of the band there!

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    True. I've plugged in an SWR Basic 2Way cab, aware of the drop. But if it's for quiet jazz gigs, it's should be an issue. And, I'm not sure if he would need to add an extension speaker.

There was a time when I never would have looked sideways at the Cube. For some unexplained reason, Roland to me was about the JC120 guitar amps, pedals and keyboards. All of it excellent well made gear. It has never been a consideration for a bass amp, ever. I saw one for a good price, locally, and it fit the bill for a small practice amp. Well, I found that I started bringing it to gigs and it worked really well with drums and guitar. Not super great, best of breed, but it sounded good, the band sounded good and it worked well. Over time, I've become a real fan of this little unit.

Started a new band two months ago, rehearsing in my basement. Two guitars, through amps, my Sadowsky through the Markbass rig, and the vocals into a mixer and the Roland. Throw in some reverb and suddenly, I own a small PA system that sounds good. Not "not bad", but "good".

When I saw the original post, I immediately saw the parallels with my setup and had to comment. Very handy multitask tool. Certainly for the money.

If using it solely as a bass amp, keep it on the floor. You will lose bottom end. But on the floor, with drums and guitars, I find myself turning and looking at it thinking, "I'm getting a good bass sound out of that lttle thing?" How does that work. End of night, it's gig bag on back, mic stand in one hand. Roland in the other. One trip to the car. At 2 am, before we hit the shawarma joint for the post gig scoff, one trip portability means EVERYTHING. :D

Long post. Happy gigging this weekend.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Greenboy....I too have gigged with that small Carvin. It's probably a better amp to get because it's voiced for a variety of inputs. Did a couple of indoor and outdoor picnic style things with the Carvin with just a guitarist, bass and both of us singing. Worked fine. We got paid. :D

If I'm not mistaken, you can pole mount the Carvin. Actually, you can pole mount a pain-in-the-a$$ drummer too if you had to.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I also used to use an Eden 210 XST, and XLT, but found them both to heavy for convenient use.

I opted for an affordable solution and went with the Avatar b210s which are much lighter and do everything I need performance wise. I keep two of them around and when needed for larger gigs stack them vertically and run them at 2ohms into a Genz Benz NeoPak.

Works great for me.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The Roland Cube 100 is a good little amp. I used one for a while and then went to the Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T. I play in a couple jazz groups and this combo is perfect. Plenty loud at 175 watts, great tone, and only 18 pounds.

I also play in a pop/rock/acoustic cover band. I use it for a stage monitor and DI to the FOH. The built in DI is great - at least as good as anything you would buy - except for maybe a REDDI, TD-1, Avalon, etc.

I play a 5 string and it does a nice job with the B string. It is a 175 watt, 10" combo so don't expect miracles, bit for my needs, it has been a dream amp. One trip load-in and load-out is sweet as well.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Carvin could probably slap a boutique label on such items and after building a company around it (keeping the affiliation secret), sell it for three times as high, with nary a complaint.

Also worth investigating: I know there used to be similar products by Yorkville and Peavey that seemed to be great values.

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    +1 Exactly the thing.

15. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    SWR Baby Blue II. The 5" cone tweeter is very smooth and to me, preferable for accurate top end without the sizzle of a dome tweeter - especially for jazz.

16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yeah, the SWR BB is a great amp as well. I wish I would have kept mine.

17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Great and I love the BBII. It doesn't have the two channels and mic input he needs.
    Side by side with any of the original WM series or the Strawberry or Cali Blonde the BBII comes across richer and more 3d. Again that's if he's only doing bass. Which he isn't.

18. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    ooops... my bad. I didn't read the 1st post thoroughly.

You can use the defeatable effects loop for a second channel, I believe.

It's tough to beat that Carvin for this specific application. No external mixer needed.

19. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I guess no one read carefully. I didn't notice the dual input need.

20. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Thanks for your replies, guys. Well, don't mind about the dual input. I have a small mixer that I can use and if it were $75 more for a small mixer, that wouldn't cut or make the deal :).

As for the SWR BBII: we have two of those at the conservatory here. Maybe it's because they're getting old and 'ragged up', but I can't manage to get the sound I really want out of that amp.
    I guess the smaller speakers make sense, though. When at home, I plug my bass straight into my Mackie VLZ mixer and when playing through my AKG K271 headphones, I really get a sound that I like. I know getting a headphone-like sound out of an amp is quite impossible, but then you know what kind of tone I'm after. I think it's a quite 'clean' tone (?).

Some time ago, I heard a J-type bass being played in a jazz context through an Epi cab and I've got to say I was impressed, that's why I mentioned it in the original post.

I like the power of my bigger setup too, as I can really feel the bass frequencies, but like I said it would be overkill for a jazz trio/quartet/quintet. Tone, weight and size are the most important parameters. Multi or dual inputs are not important.

Someone mentioned a Roland Cube 100. I've been thinking about one (or maybe even 2) Roland KC-60s too. Someone's got bass-experience with those?

Again: thanks so far for all your entries!!