small rig opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgregpegleg, Jan 12, 2006.

1. My rig is small by some standards:
    92' EB/MM rosewood FB strung w/DR Lo-riders
    Eden WT800 in a 4 space rack with a KorgDTR-1

I don't care if I make more than 1 trip, I just don't like making multiple trip up flights of stairs and fire escapes and having one of them be my 55lb cab. I want to get around 30lbs and compact. I am 5'6" 160lbs and not all muscle.

I have tried an Aguilar GS112 and Schroeder mini 12 and would not use them as a compact solution due to their sound. The Schroeder 2x12 I liked but did not get to gauge the weight and the website does not say. It is only bigger in one dimension.

I hail from Nashville, Tn and tour nationally but seldom get to try out new or specialty/boutique gear. I need to look ahead for dealers in the towns I am touring. Already toured 6 days this year through MI, WI, and MN- Brrrrrrr.

I read all the Tom Bowlus shootouts and opinions on small rigs and realize that I should if I could try something out for myself no matter the overwhelming popular opinion of my peers.

Saying that, I play Country, Bluegrass, Rockabilly type Americana and am still looking at options in the format of:
    1. 1x10 cab -or- combo
    2. 1x12 cab -or- combo
    in the 30lb range.

EA wizzy, Berg, Epi, GK Mb, Eden CX, Hevos. I would love to try the Hevos midget!

Any strong opinions out there on these formats?
    One thing, all I need is to create a monitor and supply a line to the board. I have thought of just getting a Hartke Kickback 10" and a good DI and being done with it for under $400

Opinions on DIs ? which I am sure their are megathreads out there.

Thanks, and while I am the new guy and not on the MP3s, please check out my band's website:
  2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    If you're playing upright, don't get that Hartke. I had a KB 1x15 and it didn't sound good on upright at all...

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Is your priority weight or price?
    If price is an issue, an affordable combo with a DI would be the way to go.
    If you've got a little to spend, something like an Acoustic Image amp of your choice (5lbs.) and a new Schroeder Light 1210 (about 30 lbs.) or Epifani UL112 (30lbs) would be an awesome set up.
    It will be more about your personal priority.
  4. I am playing a Ernie Ball/MusicMan Stingray(details in original post).
    I have played through the kickback 10" before and just as a monitor, not using the DI out, it worked and handled touring.
    I love gear, but really am battling to just carry a bare minmum of gear.
    A decent little personal monitor and a good DI -vs.- 30lb combo or cab is what I am pondering.
  5. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    on the upright thing...I'm an idiot:)

ignore me...

6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I really like my little rig. It sounds great, is plenty loud for non PA gigs and works great as a monitor for PA gigs.

Sansamp Programmable BDDI
    Focus SA power amp
    Bergantino HT112 cab

I used to have an Eden 550 that I used with the Bergie and it sounded great. The only reason I went to the BDDI/Focus was for weight and size. All my stuff - preamp, DI, tuner, chorus, poweramp - fits in my briefcase!
  7. that's pretty damned cool ..... gotta like the one-trip load in/out :p
  8. Yeah SteveC, you got your rig down!
    How is the Bergantino?
    I have never heard or played through one.
    Likes/dislikes-honest assessment.
    I am going to look up your poweramp and sansamp.
    I have a sansamp DI that served me well before the eden head I got. Il iked the DI on that...till it crapped out in Wisconsin on me. I started miking my cab with a spare bass drum mic we had.
  9. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I feel like a parrot these days since I say this every time someone asks for "a small combo." I carry my bass in a gig bag on my back, my pedal board in one hand, and my Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout in the other. I love it. It's a little heavier than 30 lbs, but the Scout sounds great for a purely electric small rig IMO.

10. well, I have my seperates that I can mix and match
    but I just found a hartke kickback 10 for $219 at 8thstreet music. I went down to my local music shoppe and had them look it up and price match. I will be using that up on my folding table as a monitor and have my sansamp bass driver DI ran to the board.
    I only play a few coffee house type gigs with no PA or just vocals and we get asked to not have drums at those anyway.
    I play basements and such with a 12 piece pirate-swing band
    that only plays locally. I use my aforementioned rig for that.
    It is my first combo that I have owned, I used one prior. I have always used head/cab seperates. Well, at that price I jumped. When I used one, I got compliments on tone and power from it. I believe that you can get a "sound" from any decent amp.
    Thanks for all the hellp.
  11. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Yorkville xm50 (w/line out, 30 LBS, $275)

if you need to put a BDDI on the front end ($190)
  12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I love my Bergie. It's one piece of gear that I have kept and never felt the need or desire to trade off in search of something better. The size and weight are great - and it sounds fantastic. Plenty loud, too. I've rarely wanted more than I could get from this cab - and when I do I have PA support.

I play fingerstyle and love that mid growl I get with my Bartolini pups and preamp. The tweeter is smooth and the sound is very full. You don't get the "chest-thumping" lows, but I don't miss them - that's what the powered subs in the PA are for.
  13. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I went with Acoustic Image also. I'm liking this combination a lot. The speaker weighs about as much as the 'Funk:
  14. Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, man,

First off, I dig the Woodbox Gang site & mp3's (even though you're not on them). I'm from near Paducah, KY myself (living out northwest near Seattle for now ...), 'bout halfway between So. Il. and Nashvegas ...

Here's my small rig, a couple of posts down in this thread:

AI stuff is a bit pricy, but if you want light, it's really great. The Wizzy cabs are really superb.

I'm down in Nashville a few times a year, so maybe we'll meet up some day ...

All the best,