Small rig that kicks butt.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Nov 19, 2002.

1. AVATAR B1x12

8 vote(s)
  2. AVATAR B2x10

17 vote(s)
  3. ACME B-1

0 vote(s)
  4. ACME B-2

12 vote(s)
  5. AGUILAR GS 112

56 vote(s)
  6. EA CLX 110

3 vote(s)
  7. EA CLX 112

23 vote(s)
  8. Something Else (explain)

24 vote(s)
  1. I looking to put together a small rig that kicks butt. I've got about 250 watts at 8 ohms ( won't bridge into 4 ohms ) of power to use from my old Dynacord single rack power amp. I'm looking to pair it with one of the following speakers. Which one do you think will work the best???
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Oops, just realized you only have 8ohms.

In that case, I like the Aggie 112!!!
  3. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    You might want to try a Bag End S-15 DX. With a 15" and the co-axial tweeter, it's a great full range cabinet. At 50 lbs and a small box, it's an easy transport as well. Did I mention the efficiency? It can make the most of your 250 watts. AC
  4. Who has Bag End on the net?
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Bag Ends have great tone for R&B, Jazz and other smoove stuff, but IME, their sound gets lost with rock.
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I know i'm starting to sound like a broken record.

The BE S15DX is NOT full range. The roll-off is harsh around 50hz - what you're hearing is a lot of low mids.

50lbs vs. the Aguilar's 42?

Efficiency? Hell yeah. The BE is super-efficient & super loud. I don't know any way it couldn't cut through a rock band EXCEPT if you're trying to make it cut UNDER - cause it's not got the bass for that.

Before you argue, A/B it with a true full-range cab. You'll hear the difference. That's not to say the BE's don't sound good - I played them for years, but I personally prefer more deep bass than they deliver.

I vote for the Aguilar, just because you're running low power into it. Should be a great little rig. Hope you find what you're looking for!
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    tho my first choice would be a Bergantino HT112, the Aguilar is great second choice, especially for the price and weight.

but the EA's pretty kickass as well. the Aguilar's more complex in the low mids, while the EA's got a bolder, "kick you in the chest" feel.
  8. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Hey Joker

How well do the EA's do under low power?
  9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Take a look at Genz-Benz too.
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The BagEnd D10B-D and X-D are 4ohm cabs.
  11. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Epifani T-112
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you're lookign for the best sounding, loudest single small cab, money no object, the avatar 112 wouldn't be it.

but for the price, you could get two avatar 112's, or a 112 and compact 15, and totally rock the house!
  13. Yes the Epifani T-112 looks interesting enough. It is priced at a mid -point between the Aguilar and the EA Cxl-112. Of the 3 the Epifani is the least effient at 100 db while the Aguilar is 102 and the EA is 103!!!!. Have any of you A/B'd these 3 speakers???
  14. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Jason, would you say the Avatars sound similar to any other brands out there?
  15. I agree with you. I think the Avatar speakers are an outstanding value. I already have a 4x10, 1x15, and a Triad cab, and I have 3 big power amps at my disposal. I want to see what I can put together that is small, lite and efficient. From what I've read, the best speaker for the money might be the Aguilar. And the best sounding speaker but a real power hog would be the Acme. Probably the best all around one is the EA cxl-112. It is also the most expensive. Here in West Virginia, you can't find much other than Ampeg and Peavey (not that there is anything wrong with those brands) I'm just looking for that Hi-Fi sound in a real small package.
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    it does ok. a bit better than my Aguilar which seems to need a good more helping of juice to make me happy. must be all that porting.

btw, thx for replying back to my last email. tried to reply back, but my Yahoo account is all screwy.
  17. Grump

Mar 22, 2000
    I have a avatar112 and avatar compact 15. I use a 82 G&L L-1000 into a peavey tb raxx preamp into a qscrmx850. I play in a oldies/dance band and a blues band. As far as bang for the buck I like the avatars, small,light and cheap. I'm sure the other cabs might better, but they cost more.
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

Ooo, good choice. bold like an EA, but with sweeter, not so clinical, highs.
  19. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

you know, pretty much every speaker cab sounds darn similar through my rack...but i'd have to say it sounds like an SWR with 30% ampeg, if that makes sense. it has the highs and clarity of swr but without the upper mid and lows boosted. less growly, but a little smoother.

did that make sense :confused:
  20. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I think I know what you mean. They seem awfully temping being they are so cheap. That and the fact that everyone here seems to like 'em. I may just pick one up for bedroom practicing.