1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moonbass, Feb 17, 2008.

1. moonbass

moonbass

Aug 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi
    I'm shopping for a class D amp head and a 10 inch cabinet.
    Right now i'm using a 79 stingray with a GK 400RB to a Whizzy 12. It's still too heavy to go up and down the subway stairs in NY. I was thinking of a Whizzy 10 with a Clarus one channel or the one channel Epifani with the Whizzy or an Epifani 10 inch. Anyone have any sugestions? I heard the Clarus is "uncolored" what goes in comes out sort of. I was thinking this might be good for upright bass but not so great for b. guitar. Am i correct? I don't play loud, do mostly Jazz type gigs in small places. Any ideas? I'd like to keep the cost less then $1500 total.
    Thanks
    moonbass

2. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    why a rig..why not a combo?

i have the ebs drome 12" ...very light and could be ok volume for a small venue.

3. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    Try a used Ampeg Portabass 1X12 or 2X10 combo. They even have built in collapsible hand-truck. I bet you can find one cheap on TB or Ebay.

4. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    The Epifani piccolo will be 600 watts in an 8lb package, and if you pair it with an Epifani Ul110, you're looking at a total rig weight of 30lbs.

5. moonbass

moonbass

Aug 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    You think that would give me the best sound for the bucks?
    Thanks
    tom

6. moonbass

moonbass

Aug 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Don't mean to be dense, but what is an ebs drone?
    Thanks
    tom

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I know you said you're shopping for a separate head and cab, but if a combo might also be a consideration I thought I'd also mention GK MB150. These don't always get a lot of love in these forums but you should at least consider it. It's my "small rig" for when I'm doing a small trio (acoustic guitar, mandolin/banjo and bass). Sounds good to me and certainly loud enough. I know the Subway thing very well, and it doesn't get much lighter/smaller than this.

8. My Markbass CMD 102P is 44lbs at 350 watts...light and very loud...I use a gig bag like a pack pack and carry the combo at the same time up stairs.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    + whatever to the combo idea. There are many lightweight combos on the market. It's never been a better time to be a bassist, so many options. At least consider a combo, so much easier to transport.

10. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10t is definitely something I'd look at. This thing is rocking my world. 18 pounds, and the head comes out of the brackets by loosening two thumb screws. I play both upright and electric through it. I also have the 15 pound extension cab, and have used the two together (total weight = 33 pounds) for blues gigs loud enough for me to have to wear earplugs (electric guitar, Fender Rhodes keyboard, drummer + latin percussionist). For trio gigs, and with upright, the combo by itself is stellar.

For upright, I do like to use an impedance matching preamp to better mate up my Underwood pickup to the amp.

Cheers

11. I have a couple of thoughts...

Eden CXC110
    This tiny 110 combo will handle a serious 5 string bass player. The low end is deep enough for upright or standard electric basses. This unit is great for jazz, upright, or pit orchestra gigs as a stand alone, or a second cabinet for a big sound with minimum sized gear. $1,189.90
    Upgrade the amplifier section to a more powerful 390 watts (4Ω) for another $100.00 (CXC110S).

CXC110 Specs Power 8Ω/4Ω/2Ω 200/330/420W RMS
    Speaker Power Handling 200W RMS
    Frequency Response 36Hz - 20KHz
    Coverage 100 degrees
    Crossover 4KHz @ 18dB
    Impedance 8Ω
    Dimensions 15.25”w x 20.5”h x 14.5”d
    Weight 39LBS

Or Maybe the WTX260 and a CX110 (those are separates)

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I love Eden tone, although I don't play the gear anymore. I do still have a CXC110, though. The one thing I would caution, though, is to check the weight. Mine, and those owned by several others, actually weighs 50 pounds, not the advertised 39. I've also known people who have CXC110's that weigh closer to the advertised weight ... just don't buy one sight-unseen, unless someone you trust can weigh it and tell you.

I had the same issue with my Eden DC112XLT. Advertised weight is 49 pounds, but mine weighed 62!!!

39 pounds is at the edge of what I like in a combo. 50 pounds is just too unweidly for my use. Great tone though! Just be sure of what you're actually getting into.

Cheers

13. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Pair your Wizzy 12 with the microscopic EA Micro300. Together they weigh about 30 lbs. Switch the Wizzy 12 to a 10, and and you are at 20 lb!

I have a Wizzy 12, and a Wizzy 10, and drive them nicely with the EA Micro300 amp. Plenty loud, with either single cab, or doubled up with both Wizzies together.

There are a bunch of amps now under 5 pounds, and a few more about to hit the stores. Eden, EA, AI, and Markbass are out now, and GK and Epifani are about to release their own baby amps. That's baby in size, not power. To get major gas pain, simply read the threads on the Shuttle 6.0, or the Markbass LMII or F1.

14. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Was Shopping for the last month or so for a Small/lightweight/powerfull package , went for the RCF ART 310A.
    350 watts , 27 Pounds !!!!!!!
    http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.p...ttivo/1674/m1/0/ARTSeriesART310-A/product.htm

If your looking for something that is flat ( what comes in is what your hear) you'll be better with that type of product.
    IME & IMHO cabs designed for bass have a tendency to accentuate the low mids in general.

The UPS guy should be here any minute now........:hyper::hyper::hyper:

15. moonbass

moonbass

Aug 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    You are happy with the tone of the micro?

16. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Yes! Well, I like the tone of the Mesa Walkabout a little better, driving the same cabs, but the size and weight of the Micro put it ahead. Plus the Micro can go down below 2 ohms, and the Walkabout can't.

I'm playing jazz, and not trying to blow out the walls with decibels. But even with the 25-piece bigband, the Micro300 driving the Wizzy10+12 is only at 2 o'clock, with a lot more headroom to go.

17. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    If you're playing mostly jazz, this is the way to go (I use my epifani stuff for all genres, but it can't get as aggressive as, say, an SVT).

The only issue with this rig is you'll have to wait for the Piccolo to be released in a few months.