Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small setup with more of a vintage tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 9, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Excuse my amp threads that pop up atleast once a week, but I'm still having trouble deciding on a new rig for home. There's alot to go through and it's getting confusing :)

I'm looking for something that is easy to transport if it has to be done and doesn't take up much space (so I'm thinking of one cab). Volume wise, it just has to be fine for casual trio jamming and home practice. Tone wise I'm looking for as I mentioned in another thread, something to compliment a p-bass and give more of a vintage tone.

I keep going back to possibly a 1x12, but I'm concerned that it may not be deep or full enough, compared to a 2x12, or even a 1x15. At this point, the setup I keep thinking of would be an Avatar SB112 and Ashdown 300H. I'm trying to plan on getting what I need now and not having to upgrade later if I can help it. With my criteria, it shouldn't bet hat hard to find something that fits the bill.

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I gig with a 1X12 - Bergantino HT112. It's full, loud, light, perfect.

3. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm happy with a SB112 and an original SWR 350 for lower volume work.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What are you fighting against in that trio? I play on a rare occasion with an acoustic guitar or clean electric guitar at reasonable volumes and a drummer with brushes. My Vox T60 fits the bill fine with the vintage tone.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Broken record. Ampeg B100R hands down, no contest. Read the reviews on-line.

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    +1 for the Ampeg B-100R

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nothing at the moment. I'm just trying to plan ahead to what I may possibly do.

8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Really? Is 100W's enough? That's less than I'm running now (165..but I suppose 65W don't make that much of a difference). I was also looking preferably for a head/cab setup for a lighter rig than carrying it all at once. Do they sell this head and cab seperately? Or something equivilant?

9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    clink beat me to it- Ampeg B100R for bang for buck. Loud enough for casual jamming, small enough for home practice, TONS of way cool vibe...and I normally don't care much for Ampeg's solid state designs. Otherwise, why not an Ampeg V4B head with a Schroeder cab?

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I forgot to mention I'm trying to stay under $700. The B100R is sounding good...alittle heavy and only one handle, but it sounds like it should fit the bill tonally and volume wise. Hopefully I don't experience the rattling I keep reading about. It would be a pain to have to return another amp.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yorkville or Pignose Tube head even.

How about one of those little Mesa combos with the built in wheels and handle!

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Does the line out on the B100R work for a tuner?

13. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Yeah, with his budget, the Yorkie would be a better option than the V4b. How 'bout one of those with an Avatar cab?

14. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Yup. Lots of things, in fact. Selling mine was one of the dumber things I've done...but that's a long list anyhow.

15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually would the headphone jack work for the tuner too? One of the things I do like about the SWR head I have is the mute switch. I like muting the speaker when I'm tuning during string changes, so the tuner works but I don't have to hear it.

16. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    The headphone jack will work. I just don't know if it's recommended as it's sqeezin' a bit o' juice out. If worse comes to worse, you could split the line out, sending one to the tuner and the other to the DI.

17. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Ohhh... man. The B-15 so fits the bill if you can handle the weight and low power. (Seems most can't...)

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Used GK 400 and Bag End 1x15 cab would be a real nice small setup. The BE cab's are warm as toast and have a great vintage vibe to them. The GK is warm and punchy for solid state. That rig won't take up much space and it will get plety loud when it needs to.

Not sure what the skinny is on the B100R. It's a pretty quiet 100 watts... and while I'd love a B15, it's tough to find a decent one for $700 and they aren't all that loud. Certainly not giggable volume for a lot of settings. Sweet tone though, no question there!

19. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've actually heard the B100R is loud for 100W's. Either way, I have 165 now and I can't imagine there's THAT much difference between a 65W difference.

Someone mentioned yorkville. They're 400W head looks nice. Any opinions on their heads and cabs?

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile