1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small Solid Sounding Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirtythirtyix, Sep 22, 2010.

1. dirtythirtyix

dirtythirtyix

Jul 16, 2008
    Maine, USA
    Currently, my only amp is an SWR/Mackie/Acme Low-B4 setup. I love it. Great sound and plenty of headroom at any gig I'm likely to play.

However, it's pretty bulky and probably weights 150 lbs. I find myself playing a lot of smaller venues lately. It's almost embarrassing to haul that beast in to a little place, then I get to turn it all the way up to 1.5...maybe even 2 if the crowd is frisky.

I'm looking for a small combo to take its place for these gigs, but I don't want to sacrifice tone any more than I have to....

The gigs are rock/oldies with reinforcement just for vocals. Venues are <= 100 people. Are there any small combos that can manage a solid low B fundamental in that environment?

2. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    I wholeheartedly recommend the Mesa Walkabout Scout 12. It's what I have but they also make a 15, too. The 12 handles the low B on my warwick corvette very well. 67 pounds and there's a rather bouyant second hand market.

3. Line 6 Lowdown Sound 1-10
    Peavey Session bass (rack mount) in a 1-12 MB cabinet
    Hartke Kickback.

=====

I'm with you.. I've been told to turn down a Peavey Basic 112 with a band and no PA support.

-=-----

OPINION..
    Kickback.... and useable XLR DI.. this eliminates more junk in your trunk.

4. If you can afford the Walkabout Scout I'd get that one (they're too expensive here...).
    Cheaper are the new GK combos or the good old Roland Cube 100.

5. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I had a Hartke Kickback and I thought it was terrible - no lows and very inconsistent response. I now use an SWR Workingman's 10 for my "compact" setup and it's much better.

6. Those Acme's are unique sounding, and nothing else sounds like them. The cool thing about the Acme's is that the cab line is totally scalable. The 110 sounds just like the 210, which sounds just like the 410.

So, get a 4ohm B210 and a nice Micro head (Shuttle 9 , Markbass F500... both of these would have that bit of sparkle like your SWR pre).

Done!

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm not qualified to compare combos, but I will say this: a few weeks ago I heard a Peavey TNT 1x15 combo that was putting out an incredible amount of clean, solid sound, OUTDOORS! I think I stood there for a good five minutes just staring at the amp while the guy was playing through it, and not believing what I was hearing.

8. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    GK and Ashdown combos. Sound good and not to much $$
    Also Carvin has new micro bass amps out.

9. In this instance kickback and DI are probably more useful.

The Hartke has a clean output. ...

When I postd kickback, I was comenting on the cabinet.

10. Beck McCartney

Beck McCartney

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amps, Lakland Basses
    Look for one of the old acoustic combos. I have an Acoustic Model-118 that I absolutely love. It fit's into a mix with no PA support very well. You can pick them up for around $250.

11. dirtythirtyix

dirtythirtyix

Jul 16, 2008
    Maine, USA
    Thanks for the suggestions! I do love the Acme sound. I actually have 2 B4 cabs. I've thought about a B1 or B2 before, but the simplicity of a combo is really appealing.

That Mesa combo is intriguing...I've never seen a bass cab with a passive radiator!

I'm also very interested in the Phil Jones stuff. If the performance claims can be believed, it's just what I want...however the prices are a little scary. I might spring for a flightcase 150, but I'm not sure 150W would give me enough punch. I wish I could try one out.

The local shop carries Peavey and Line 6 stuff, I'll head down there and demo some of those as well. My old experience with Peavey bass gear still lingers in my mind, but I'm sure the new stuff sounds much better.

12. I feel your pain. I play for my church fairly often and I brought in my half stack the first week and had it up maybe at 3 or 4 and they asked me to turn down. This is in a fairly large sanctuary mind you and it is a more modern church, meaning sound production was taken into account when they built it. Anymore I'll just run direct with my trusty sansamp and be done with it. I have been on the lookout for a Yorkville combo recently. I played one a while back and remember loving the tones I could get out of it, even with just a 3 band eq. Saddly it was on lone from a friend, but it was certainly compact and a pretty tough little amp all around.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The 12 combo is actually <55lbs and is tuned lower than pretty much any commercially made single 12 out there IME. Amazing combo. IMO there should be no tonal compromise. Note the passive radiator acts as a port and allows lower tuning for the box size.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021