1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small Stone + Expression Pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lomer, Aug 8, 2007.

1. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Well the urge to pull things apart and start burning myself with the soldering iron is back again so i've decided to get a Small Stone and add an expression pedal to it...

Can anyone tell me if the Nano Small Stone/Small Stone has the pots soldered directly to the board or if they are connected via wires? I've seen one walkthrough in which they wound up chopping out a piece of the pcb but I dont fancy doing that one bit... Seems waaaay too dodgy to me.

2. Can't tell you... but surely one would cut the tracks before one took to the PCB with a pair of shears?!? Wacky...

3. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
  4. I see what's going on here, Colin replaced a mono jack with a stereo jack. I guess he figured that it's easier to cut it out rather than drill new holes in the PCB and fruit around...

5. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, now I understand..... So, anyone have any ideas if either the Nano Small Stone/Small Stone have the pot soldered to the pcb???

6. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Okay I found a gut shot of the small stone and it has the jacks wired up rather than being pcb-mounted.

http://www.kyletompkins.com/wp/?p=191

I kinda figured as much cos most ones in old casings are like that, well my Big Muff was anyway... I'd really rather go with a Nano Stone though due to the volume drop + 9v connector issues with the original. If anyone could have a look that'd be appreciated, I plan on doing another how-to like I did for the DOD 250...

7. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm pretty sure all the nano and xo stuff has board mounted jacks and pots.

8. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Cheers, after looking at that photo I found again it appears as though the pot on the original is board mounted too... Don't know what I was thinking the first time I looked :confused:

Okay so from what I remember all the nano stuff is surface mount so the original is probably going to be a better bet know, although it makes things somewhat more difficult... I'm probably gonna get a Small Stone, strip it down and remount it in a new casing. I just found out that the volume drop issue doesnt occur if you have a buffer like a compressor in front so i'm not worried about that now. I can also sort out a boss-style jack too if i'm rehousing it...

What do you all think? I already know how to strip down an old wah and turn it into a exp. pedal, I can even wire it so I can hook it up from either side...

9. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Rehousing it will give you room for other mods as well that are doable but a tight fit in the Small Stone housing. Here's my modded Small Stone:
    I added three switches. One is a phase/vibrato switch, the next changes the filter caps to Univibe values for a more Univibey sound, and the third changes the allpass filter to a lowpass filter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, if you do get one and rehouse it I'd be interested in buying the bottom part of the case from you if you don't want to hang onto it.

10. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Cheers dude! I should be ordering mine next week and then i'll work out if I need to rehouse or if I can get crafty :p

11. kismet78

kismet78

Nov 18, 2007
    Vancouver
    You're my hero! It's a tight fit in there for all of those switches. I did the Vibrato switch on mine too.

~Kyle
    kyletompkins.com

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yep. It's no fun if one breaks, but it's not impossible to fix.

Regarding the expression pedal idea...

lomer, have you ever thought about the EHX Polyphase? It's essentially a Small Stone with several different expression pedal capabilities and some nifty sound-shaping controls.

EDIT: Wait, you're making the rate adjustable by an expression pedal, right? The Polyphase doesn't do that... nevermind. :meh:

I know of a pedal that can do that... but based on numerous reviews, nobody likes it... :D

[cough[cough]MXR VARIPHASE[cough][cough]

13. kismet78

kismet78

Nov 18, 2007
    Vancouver
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can I please have that?

15. kismet78

kismet78

Nov 18, 2007
    Vancouver
    Sorry, the Mucha Stone is all mine!

All of the mods (except the mosfet boost follower) are well documented though, so bust out the iron and drill.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I is legally blind. I can't has cheezburger :crying:

And you need a much cooler name than the Mucha Stone. With all that it encompasses, it should be called the Rosetta Stone or something :)

17. kismet78

kismet78

Nov 18, 2007
    Vancouver
    EEK!

OK, step away from the iron and drill!

18. Wow, that thing is gorgeous. Looks stupidly versatile too.

Can I please have it?

19. I don't want it.

;)

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: