Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

small stone volume issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vic_6, Oct 9, 2005.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    hey, ok so i just got a bunch of fx last night. i got a 105q, a small stone, a punch faCtory and a 1 spot for it all. when i placed them in my loop, including a sansamp,a ceb-3, oc-2, dt-1o tuner, i seem to lose volume. but only with the smal stone.

and i cant get around it since it doesnt have a volume knob...

anyone have issues like this? if so, what an i do about it?
    oh and i doubt it's the bass, cuz im using a stingray and it's active n all. plus when i switched around the pedals, it's realy only the phaser that does the volme drop.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Because of the nature of phasing, what you might be describing as volume loss could be the notching of frequencies. Because of this, the sound loses a little presence when the phaser is engaged.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    hmmm, i think i remember people having similar problems with the small stone (both on this board and in my band). there's some sort of mod you can do to eleviate the problem, unfortunately, tplyons lost his notes so couldn't tell us what he did. What if you rearranged your loop some?

4. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    awww man. does that mean i cant do anything about it?

ill go look for that mod and try to rearrange my effects. but that's the way i kinda like it... argh... i hope this doesnt mean i wont be using the small stone...

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. One of the pedals I never got my hands on :crying:

6. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

my Small Stone does the same thing.....sorry. I mainly use it in the studio since I can control the volume more efficiently.

For live, I used to put a Boss EQ pedal after my Small Stone and set the EQ qith a volume boost, so when I'd use my S.S. I'd hit my EQ to give it a boost.

7. I've added this to a couple different small stones and it works out great...
    http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=96&Itemid=124

I went with the guitar cavity version because it can be made on a really tiny piece of perfboard pretty easily. I put it between the output of the PCB and the stompswitch, so it gets bypassed with the whole effect circuit. And, I've used an externally mounted pot instead of the PCB mounted trim pot. Controls the volume from just a little less than unity up to enough to slam your amp for a bit of OD, if you like. :cool:

~ Charlie

8. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    hhmmm...interesting... ill check that out.

tplyons, wow. and here i was thinkin youve had all the ehx gear. hehe!

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I'm missing a few random ones here and there. Biggest reason is once I get it, I won't be able to get rid of it, then you see my dilemma ;)

10. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    maybe you need a storage room spcifically for ehx stuff. ;)

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds good. I'll now be taking donations... PM for details :p

12. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    this volume drop is intrinsic to the small stone.
    www.analogman.com performs a mod that fixes this and makes it more usable. I have one that I bought already modded that is great.
    Jeff

13. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    now if only i could send mine to the US for the mod... :p

im on the other side of the world and it's too much and too expensive to send it over there just for a mod like that. thanks anyway