1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small string spacing bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by benlauziere, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Hi guys !

I'm looking for a bridge with a small string spacing for my Jazz bass. Any ideas ?

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Is this a custom build or a regular jazz bass? If it's a regular jazz bass there are 2 things you should be aware of: first, if you change the string spacing the strings won't line up with the pole pieces on the pickups. Second, if you have a standard width neck narrowing the string spacing will leave a large distance between the outside strings and the ends of the fingerboard.

That said you can order hipshot bridges in 2 or 3 different string spacings. Also, Schaller makes a nice steel bridge with fully adjustable string spacing.

[​IMG]

3. Yeah I didn't think of the pickups... I should be looking at this before changing the bridge.
    Thanks

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I was ready to turn a 4 string fender into a 5 string. I got as far as installing Kent Armstrong Split Tube Jazz pickups because they have a bar magnet and will accommodate any string spacing. I'm extremely happy with the versatility of them. I've had several Armstrong p.ups and they've all been really good.

The only bridge I could find that would go narrow enough is the Kahler 4 string with an extra saddle. Because of the modular design you can add a 5th saddle and it still adjusts narrower than you need it to on a stock Precision neck. I think with the extra saddle it was around $80. I'm not sure I'll ever actually install it but I've lined everything up and it would definitely work. As a four string bridge it will easily go as narrow as is practical and then some.

5. as long as your not extending past the outside edge of the poles on the e and a from widening your spacing, lining up with the poles wont matter. theyll still be within the magnetic field.

6. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado