Small SVT-3 question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Lately I've been looking for a good clean boost pedal due some gas attacks (sounds familiar doesn't it?).

Anyways, my SVT-3 Pro has this footswitchable (on/off) 9 band EQ. Next saturday I'm gonna set this EQ flat with only the level-slider on a higher level (like a volume boost)... this should do the same trick as a more expensive clean boost pedal (yeah I know the cleanboost is before the preamp and this EQ level slider is after it, but I only need a volume boost).

Someone else around who also tried this?
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't tried that with a footswitch, but you have the right idea. It should work fine as long as you are careful with your signal levels. That is, you only have so much headroom to work with, so make sure to check your signal level with the boost on... you don't want to kick in the GEQ boost and have your signal colored with nasty transistor distortion. You've probably thought of that already, but I think it's important to mention just in case!
  3. ... I didn't think about that :D thanks!
    How does transistor distortion sound compared to the tube-overdrive from the SVT-3 preamp?

My master volum is up around 2 o'clock all the time (the head's only runnin' at 8 ohm).
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I always run my boost at maximum. Why not have the extra volume?
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well, many of us think that transistor distortion sounds harsh, unlike overdriven tubes which are described as "warm". But what *you* think is most important!

The critical control to worry about in this case is the Gain knob. If you discover that the GEQ boost is causing unpleasant distortion, you'll want to roll back the Gain knob some, or maybe engage the -15dB pad switch. Maybe the clip light could help you set your levels... but some prefer to run their Ampeg heads "in the red", and if you do the same you'll have to rely on your ears to distinguish good distortion from bad.

That said, if you don't notice any unpleasant side effects when running the GEQ boost, then this is mostly a moot point... except you should still keep it in mind in a situation where you need extra volume.

I honestly don't mean to make a big deal out of this. I'm just thinking of an outdoor gig I played last summer: I was using more volume than usual, and getting some unwanted distortion from my rig. At first I thought it might be a blown speaker (!), but then realized I was using too much boost in the graphic EQ of the Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp I'd recently acquired. So I reduced GEQ level and boosted gain on my power amp and all was cool.

Anyway, go ahead and try your idea... let us know how it works!
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I never get any distortion from leaving my boost cranked.
  7. I'm gonna try it out this saturday at our gig.
    My SVT is always 'in the red'! :)
  8. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Romeoarmada, you seem to have a very magical amp. Your svt-3 pro seems to not experience ANY of the other problems other users have with it. Weird...
  9. I gigged last saturday with my rig... ang guess what I didn't even use my footswitch to boost the output.

I just used my bass's volume knob to roll down volume in the clean parts of our songs... nothing's as easy as that.
    I found out that in the stress and heat of the gig I don't have the time to think about pedal and soundsettings and switching on and off different switches.
    So the only pedal in my chain for now is my TU-2. :rolleyes:
    I might bring my EBS MultiDrive on our next show though... for the added grind in some songs :D
  10. I don't have an SVT-3PRO, but do have an SVP-PRO preamp, which has a similar EQ section.

In my experience, there is a limited amount of headroom available in the EQ circuit before it starts to clip and sound nasty. For this reason, I would be hesitant to to use it for a serious amount of level boost. When the Peak LED on the EQ starts to flash you are running out of headroom, so keep that in mind when setting up the EQ as a boost.

Alternatively you could set the EQ section slightly _lower_ in volume and use it for your normal level, then switch it out for a "boost".

At my last gig I used the EQ on my SVP-PRO to give me two different tones: one slightly scooped, and the other with a fatter tone. It's handy having the ability to use the footswitch for this, and the mute is great for tuning quietly too....