1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small (tiny) amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassometer, Nov 10, 2018.

1. I am looking for a small amp for low volume practice and acoustic jams. Preferably battery powered (but not mandatory) and small. I have a Blackstar Bass Fly and it's great for what it is but I want something a little stronger. Thanks

2. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Not battery powered, but at 200 watts and about 18 pounds for the entire rig, it hits the small, light, and loud buttons.

image.

3. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    E3AE2F7C-B818-4B16-B68B-2D75B1E8FA05. Ampeg BA-108v2 $99. Works great, surprising volume for its size and easy on the wallet.

Thick McRunfast, Yonni and Morrighan like this.
  4. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    Nice user name!

A small Fender Rumble (or Ampeg equivalent) will get you started. Phil Jones if you have money to burn. And the Trace rig above (or something like it) would allow you to expand in the future. I have a Rumble 40 and think it’s great for what it is.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Sleeko likes this.
  6. Thanks for the suggestions. I am hoping to find something small (the smaller the better). I have used a Phil Jones Bass Cub and found it to be a bit dark and boomy, I'd be curious to know if the double 4 sounds the same. I know Markbass used to make a 6" combo but they are rare now.

7. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Battery not possible, try out TC electronic BH -250

JGbassman and Aqualung60 like this.
  8. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 10t is not made anymore, but if you can find one used, it might fit the bill. Versatile, loud, great range of tones, tilt back, super light. Cool how you can detach head from cab too.

I tried many combos at the time I bought it, looking for the ultimate small/great sounding/light amp, and this model one was by far my favorite.

Over the years, it’s served me really well in a wide range of situations.

Good luck on your search!

| GENZ BENZ

edit: not battery powered doe

9. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    There are *Literally* ;) 1,765 093 threads on this subject. Lots of good suggestions already posted.
    Good luck!

10. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    There are also new products, members, experiences, and opinions arriving every single day. What does however remain constant is our ability to keep scrolling past threads that don’t interest us.

11. GK 200MB if you can find anyone who will part with it.

13. I always thought that Bose should make a practice amp, something like a Soundlink that can be used for instruments or vocals. Am I the only one that thinks this?

14. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i've been looking/thinking about getting one of these ... for my AEB and other soft practice/playing ...

i also have a Fly .. which works fine as personal practice amp , especially as a headphone amp .!

Behringer MPA40BT

of course i'd like PJB of some kind ... but can't justify the $$$$ for this usage

15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I have a Roland Bass Micro Cube and, as long as you recognize it's not going to hang with a drummer or electric guitars or give you earthshaking lows, it's a nice little amp. There have been a lot of great suggestions so far, but the Micro Cube is one of the few out that are widely available and can also run on batteries.

I have one and I love it for low volume practice. It's got a tuner, amp modeling, a few effects (OK for practice, but I rarely use them), simple drum rhythms, line level input to play MP3s through, and a headphone out. I've never used mine to play with others, but I'm sure it could hang with and acoustic guitar or two.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    beardedclam and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Don't know if this will help but..

Haven't played a Cub but what I've heard from those who have is that the Cub is definitely louder but a bit more boxy than the Double 4.

MrCash, SteveBass5, PDGood and 2 others like this.
  17. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    i agree... feel like they could do a great job creating some tiny bass amp magic

beardedclam likes this.
  18. +1

beardedclam likes this.
  19. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I sure love MB200! Paired with a GB STL-8 cab it's my small venue favorite. And if I need to, I just run DI to FOH and use it as my monitor.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018