Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small tone and volume problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JackColtman, Jun 1, 2004.

1. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    I've been playing bass for about a year and a half, i'm just about ready to start gigging, using my kustom kba 100, and samick active bass, however the tone I dig is becoming a problem when trying to play at a higher volume, usually to gain it i'd either turn down the bass's volume for a neater sound or just play quiet, now as soon as go to turn up on the amp, my clean and bright tone is destroyed giving away to white sound and abrasive more distorted sound, (the amp has a gain and volume control for overall volume), I want a neater, brighter and cleaner sound, I think a supressor/limiter maybe a safe option as it (if i'm not mistaken) equalizes tone, Imainly play slap, and the tones I lean towards are reminiscent of Jaco Pastorius, clean style Geddy Lee and early Les Claypool, I know they may seem different but I feel they have connection in some way, any help would be much appreciated, cheers :)

P.S I also use a Aphex Xciter, which I believe may be able to work in conjunction with a compressor , which would create a "companding" effect, hopefully edging the tone to one I'd like more, is that correct?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    When you turn up, which knob are you turning up?

If you amp has a clipping light, turn up the gain only enough so that when you're slapping, the light gently flashes. Leave the gain alone and control your volume with the master volume control.

3. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    won't that damage the amp? :confused:

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Won't "what" damage the amp? Gentle flashing of the clipping light, or something else?

5. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    the gentle flashing of the clipping light

6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Billy B is right. Control your volume from the master volume.

On the other hand, it sounds like you just need a more powerful amp. 100 watts can only do so much...... :meh:

7. Clipping will not damage your head. It may damage your speakers.

Light flashing of your clip light will not be a problem. It is, in fact, a good way to set your gain to get maximum power out of your rig. Use the master volume control to make it louder.

Your symptoms indicate that you need a more powerful head. You may, however get a little bit more out of what you have with a compressor, limiter. If you set one up so that only the peaks of your signal are "squashed" down in volume, you will be able to adjust your gain higher for an overall volume increase. These results, however, are minimal.

If you're really close to the sound and volume you want then try the compressor. Otherwise it is time to shop for a new amp.