Small tone and volume problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JackColtman, Jun 1, 2004.

1. JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    I've been playing bass for about a year and a half, i'm just about ready to start gigging, using my kustom kba 100, and samick active bass, however the tone I dig is becoming a problem when trying to play at a higher volume, usually to gain it i'd either turn down the bass's volume for a neater sound or just play quiet, now as soon as go to turn up on the amp, my clean and bright tone is destroyed giving away to white sound and abrasive more distorted sound, (the amp has a gain and volume control for overall volume), I want a neater, brighter and cleaner sound, I think a supressor/limiter maybe a safe option as it (if i'm not mistaken) equalizes tone, Imainly play slap, and the tones I lean towards are reminiscent of Jaco Pastorius, clean style Geddy Lee and early Les Claypool, I know they may seem different but I feel they have connection in some way, any help would be much appreciated, cheers

P.S I also use a Aphex Xciter, which I believe may be able to work in conjunction with a compressor , which would create a "companding" effect, hopefully edging the tone to one I'd like more, is that correct?
  2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Sounds like you need a bigger amp to me.
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    bigger amp +2 i've got the same prob when i was using my little 30 watt amp, those amps are just for practice (or not even for that) so when you raise the volume it distorts because the speaker moves a lot of air that makes counter presure over the cone and it doesnt vibrates correctly.
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    LOL. No, they distort because they run out of power and the amplifier clips. Nice try though. :D
  5. JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    so will getting a compressor make my tone brighter, and more like Jaco's in any way?
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, it'll limit your dynamic peaks i.e. when you pop or dig in hard