Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small Town - John Mellencamp - Tab?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by hbgill, Apr 27, 2005.

1. hbgill

hbgill

Apr 26, 2005
    I have not been able to find a tab for Small Town by John Mellencamp. Please help. I am a new bass player, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Nope, I cant find it either..I can only find the guitar chords..

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    The bad news is there no bass tabs to be found anywhere on this one. The good news is that this is such a simple bass line to a simple song that it's not worth the effort to learn it exaclty as it's played. I googled "small town" John Mellencamp tab bass and this is one of the transcriptions;

http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/m/mellencamp_john/small_town-crd.shtml

If you play the root notes of these chords you've got most of the song.

The bass player in John's band at the time, Toby Meyers, tended to place bass notes in the same spot that drum guru Kenny Aronoff put a pick drum. It's not rocket science but the simplicity of the song is part of it's effectivness .

4. hbgill

hbgill

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks for the advice, I'm sure it will help when I sit down to figure out the bass line.

5. hbgill

hbgill

Apr 26, 2005
    I notice that the transcription says "capo on the 4th fret." What does this mean for the bass? Do I play all of the notes 4 frets higher?

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    This means chords played on the guitar will be 4 semi tones (or two full tones higher). This means a C chord played with the 4th fret capo will have a concert pitch of E.

You may have to adjust your playing to compensate for this....the good news is that such cord symbols will be consietntly out by the same interval. Thus, it will be easy to correct.