1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small-value escrow services

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Has anyone ever used escrow for small amounts of money--say, on the order of $3000-4000? Are there any escrow providers out there that would take such a small sum of money and not charge more than, say, $100 for the service?

Background:
    I'm planning to rent a small house or duplex in another part of Los Angeles sometime in the next few weeks, but I can't move out until the end of May at the very earliest. I want to take care of this now, though, because housing is very difficult to find around here in the summer, when half a million college graduates all descend on the city with dreams of becoming the next Robert Evans or Mike Ovitz. :rollno:

What I'm planning to do is sign a lease on another house and then sublease it until sometime this summer. I have some potential sublessees lined up, but I don't want to be left holding the bag if they bail, so I'm not going to sign any lease until I've received funds from them equivalent to the move-in costs of the new house. They, in turn, probably want some protection against the possibility of me taking their deposit money and then not actually signing the lease on the house, leaving them ~$2000 poorer and without a place to live.

Now, I'm not planning on stealing their money, and I can provide dozens of character references. (The ones I plan to use could have me excommunicated from my church if they found out I were blatantly dishonest in a business deal of this sort.) However, to assuage any concerns, I'd like to use an escrow service to place the money in the hands of a mutually trustworthy third party. I just don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

2. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Have you looked into PayPal? I think they either do this, or know about online escrow services.