small very portable combo for practice/lessons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by naughtry, Nov 16, 2004.

1. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I'm starting to give beginner bass lessons and have to travel to a few students houses and want a combo I can carry in one hand with my bass in the other.<O:p</O:p

Any recommendations for under $250?
  2. be nice if you could find an old polytone minibrute or GK mini 150.

I heard somebody recommend the peavey microbass as well as this little yorkville as far as new goes. others say the little fender practice amps have good tone.

When i take lessons, i just bring my tacoma thunderchief acoustic bass guitar. It is loud enough to be heard with another instrument through a small amp. I sometimes take bass lessons with a jazz guitarist because all I want to learn in lessons is jazz. and he played is old gibson 3-5 through an old tube combo and we sounded fine together.

but i would love to get a hold of the Phil Jones Bass Briefcase, more than double your budget, but is apparently good enough to gig with for small stuff.
  3. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    How loud does it have to be??
    If not very loud, you may want to check into the Yamaha self powered stage monitors. Yamaha MS60S.

I use one for practicing & learning tunes in my apartment.
    It's a full range monitor & I have my 4 track Tascam plugged
    into it if I have to transcribe or learn a tune.

It's not very loud for bass alone (20watts??), but loud as stage monitor. Not much tone for bass alone either. But
    very portable. A trade-off.
    I 'll bring it to rehearsal if there's no drummer.

Weights about 30 lbs, dims approx 12"x 18" x 8". I think I paid about $200 or so. (Don't remember as it's been about 4 years
  4. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    The Ibanez SW35 would be perfect for your needs, I used to own one and the tone is great for a practice amp it even handles the low B string with no problems, It has a ton of useful features. and it is only $150.00.
  5. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
  6. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a behringer bx300. 30 watts, 10 inch, very loud if you need to be, easy to eq, sounds punchy with the 10 and can easily handle my b string without farting out. This amp is in my opinion far better than anything in its price range. The thing is under 150. Thats a lot extra for some teaching essentials like a metronome and tuner.

7. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    thanks for the suggestion, looking into them now.

Edit: Just saw the Roland and got excited until i saw the price was $649.97

Whats the best choice under 250?
  8. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Have you looked at a Fender Bassman 25 ???
  9. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    yeah, thats was actually my first thought but I was hoping to find somethign a little cheaper/lighter if possible.
  10. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Much as I loathe Behringer after my bx3000 blew up, I am looking at buying one of these as a pratice amp. As Dan said, nothing comes close to what it offeres for a lwo price.
  11. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Sam Ash is having a blowout on two hartke combos. A 2x10 or a 1x15, both 140 watts for $279. This is a steal for this price and both are easily portable. As bad as I want to order one, I must pass.... saving for other GASSES!!!
  12. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    well no way GK mini 150 can be $250 :p