Small warning but another Labella customer appreciate thread

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JJBluegrasser, Sep 16, 2005.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi all,
    So, I just bought an American Precision here on Talkbass, and I ordered a set of Labella 760FLs to put on it. I had never used them before, but as a result of the glowing reviews here, I got them.
    I started putting the low E string on the bass, and before it even got close to tension IT BROKE!!! Talk about disappointed...

However, I called Just Strings and they gave the Labella number. I called Labella and the guy said "Is it a through the body bridge?" I said yes. He told me that they were having a lot of calls like mine, and that those strings are too stiff to be run at that sharp of an angle. He would send out another string first thing Monday morning priority mail. I was very impressed.

Next problem...this American P-Bass only allows through the body stringing! I didn't even check, but I assumed it would have standard mounts as well. It doesn't. I read another thread about tapered ends, but I didn't even think to ask about that.

So, just a warning...Labella 760FLs can't be strung though the body. But Labella seems to be a good company, and I'll probably go find a better bridge so that it will work for me. I'm still excited about trying these strings...

2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    So I decided to call Labella back and ask about the tapered strings. I got the same guy I spoke with last time. I told him the problem with the bridge, and he said "ok, we'll send you a whole set with tapered ends."

I love Labella already. I hope their strings are as good as their customer service.

3. I had a very similar experience.

I got a set of La Bella Slappers for my Lakland. I wanted to string through the body as well so went with an "extra long" set that had a tapered B string.

Started to wind up the B string and the outer windings started to stretch out,... about three, four inches up from the bridge. The core was exposed and of course, no tension.

I can only give accolades to La Bella customer service though, I find it hard to make calls when at work, so I sent them an email. I was expecting to get a "call us" reply, Instead I got a "no problemo" and received a new B string in two days.

The Strings really do sound and feel awesome. I have only got a set of La Bella's once before this, I think I may try them again but am having second thoughts, If I was gigging I would have been up the creek.

I wish the same could be said about Just Strings customer service, or at least their policy.

So far I have ordered two sets from them. The first was a set of Fodera's, that order was backordered. Not a big deal, I am in the middle of trying out different sets so I ordered the La Bella's. A short time after receiving the La Bella I get a notice that the Fodera's have been shipped priority mail (USPS 3 day) Four days pass and I still have no strings. I received my first order one day after the shipping notice, so I sent them an email. Their responds was that sometimes USPS lags behind and that they are confident that I will receive my strings.

Here is their Policy on lost packages via USPS.
    mind you I got the shipping notice on the 7th

If I still have not received my order by 9/28/05 I should email them back and they will file a "non-delivery" with USPS, If one more week passes and I still do not receive my order, they will send another set. I still have not received my order, I live in Rhode Island and Just Strings are in New Hampshire, I am confident they are lost. Having to wait almost a month just to start to rectify a shipping problem is sub-par customer service IMO.

So far my experience with Just Strings have been one backordered set that was shipped and so far is MIA, and one defective set. The defective set is not their fault and they do carry just about every string imaginable at good prices so I may still deal with them, but one more strike and I am a pack'n my bags and movin on.
  4. I play mostly Classic Rock,Funk R&B and Blues. I don't slap or pop Just finger style. looking for a semi old school sound. Any Ideas? :bassist:
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Last time I had a problem with LaBella's (previous string of choice) I was actually stringing things up like a piccolo using a pic set of Hard Rockin' Steels, overtightened and broke the E string. They sent me a new one, and when I said thanks, they sent me a free tshirt :)
  6. I have also experienced a wealth of customer service incompetence from

They have a unique way of consistently blaming the USPS for shipment failures/loss of packages.

What's even worse is that if a set of strings is in fact LOST (or, you just never received them, which oftentimes can RUIN a business-related tracking session!!!), they will not ship you out a new set overnight immediately. They make you wait a month before they will send you out a 2nd replacement set. That's CRAP.

Feel free to e-mail Michael Jones, their President, and ask him how he plans on fixing their customer service attrocities:

In my situation, I had to have the actual string manufacturer come to bat for me and send me a set! My credit card company gladly refunded me my initial charge due to JustStrings' non-customer friendly policies.

Like many of you, I also do not use their woefully inadaquate mail order service anymore.

7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I get my LaBellas from

The prices are decent and I always receive the strings about 2 days after I order them (by phone before noon). Never lost a set in the mail, so I can't comment on how they would handle it.
  8. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Labella recommended I call Big City Strings to order a set, and that was a good recommendation, as BCS was professional and on the ball. The 35" flats were a special order, so BCS suggested a set of Sadowskys, which are made by Labella. Two days later I had the strings. I think they've become my source.