1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

small watt valve bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgovaerts, Mar 24, 2006.

1. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    Any one knows of a small watt valve bass amp or a guitar amp that is moddable for bass?

I like to have a valve practise amp.

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I don't have one to recommend,

But if you modded a guitar amp the speaker and eq sections would likely need for modding.

3. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    I was thinking about the epiphone valve junior

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, it's 100w, but the Pignose B-100V makes for a very nice all-tube practice amp.

Tom.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My next gear purchase will be a vintage Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp... I played through one as a kid, and much like my Musicmaster bass at the time, I hated it... Now in my later years, I am finally appreciating the things from my past!!

Seriously, for practice, my roots/rock band gets together for the low volume sessions to get songs down. I have been playing through the harmonica player's old Premier tube bass amp... About 15 watts into a 15" speaker and it just has that tone, ya know?? :D

-robert

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I found an old, no-name, tube PA head at a guitar show last year. 100 watts, 100 bucks. It's my favorite amp, by far, right now. Check around in pawn shops, thrift stores, or vintage instrument stores, and you may be able to come up with something.

7. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    maybe I can mod an 30 watt orange or so

8. 4001Guy

4001Guy

Mar 23, 2006
    if you can find one, the older tube traynor bass-mate combo amps are very sweet sounding, and record really well. they just aren't loud enough for stage.

the old traynor bass master (Mk I and II) are great tube heads, but then you need a cab as well. they are 50 watts. they are also killer guitar amps.

9. 4001Guy's right, I absolutly love the old Traynor bass mate. If you can I would highly recomend looking for the yba-2 bassmate, known as the bass cube. It's knick named that because it looks like a cube, but good luck finding one and when you do be preparred to pay. It is the most rare of all Traynor amps. Oh only about $400 US funds, Traynors aren't that valuable yet! Maybe $200 or $250 min for the other all tube bass mate combo's I think!

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    +1 on the Traynor Bassmates. A local shop had both a combo and a head and matching cab in a while back.

My electronically handy and adventurous girlfriend may or may not be building me an 8 watt tube head for my birthday. I'll let you know how that turns out.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    why not a good ol' Fender Bassman head? i had a silverface for a long while before i got my Alessandro Bassett Hound, and it sounded killer for guitar and bass!

trawl ebay, and you can get a nice blackface for about $350. send it to a tech to redo the plug to a more modern and safer 3 prong, and you'll be in tube heaven in no time.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I just offed a BF Bassman at $575. SF are running in the nid-3's and are a value IMO. Traynor's are interesting but ou have to be a little careful. SOme ofthem are very Marshall like (YBA-1) and are really more suited to be guitar amps. Like a JTM-45, they are hellacious guitar amps but basically suck as a bass amp.

One of the sweetest low volume amps I've recorded through was a Silver Face Princeton driving a 1x15 JBL D-140. This was the Princeton Amp, rather than the Princeton Reverb. The Amp model is much cleaner and handles the bass a lot better.

13. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    I will check the suggestions out. Hoping to find any of these, I think it's a lost cause.

14. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    We have a valve traynor at school, some bugger knocked it over so i doesnt have as much power at all now!

15. I recommend a Univox U-1246. Its a 2 channel 60 watt all tube head that I really like a lot and use regularly. They show up on Ebay sometimes and they are usually under $200. I've also got a mid 60's Ampeg B-15N and I actually use the Univox more. The Univox is supposed to be a Bassman clone.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a site with a lot of low-power amps. Just scroll down to "low-wattage amps."

Low wattage amps

18. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Years ago I had a SWR Interstaller Overdrive, which had 5 watts of power. Quite offen I would use that and 1x10 for practicing.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Munji; thats neat info, thanks.

Your new avatar is kinda....disturbing.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i'll see your 3 watt, and raise you... one watt? :eyebrow: