Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small wind turbine for car battery charging

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rockin John, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Just wondered whether any guys had experimented / built such a gadget. I am sort-a tempted to have a bash at building something and wondered whether there's any wisdom on the subject.

Thanks.

John

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Instead of having an alternator?

3. It could function as the equivalent of a second alternator, in case RJ wanted to be an ultra-chav and have a 3000-watt audio system in his trunk. :smug:

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

http://store.sundancesolar.com/brso5trch.html

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Smokey Yunick tried it in the late 60's in NASCAR. He mounted the generator behind the grille with a propeller on it, hoping the winds generated at full speed would be enough to keep the battery charged. The horsepower saved by not turning a generator could be used to turn the wheels on the car instead

Naturally, NASCAR made up a rule on the spot that he couldn't do that, and accused him of cheating.

6. And if you turned it around and ran the electricity backwards, you could turn your car into the auto equivalent of a fan boat!!

Or, at least get some really good A/C.:D

Rock on
    Eric

7. I would say "...and NASCAR wonders why the rest of the world laughs at it," but then I remembered that NASCAR pulls more revenue than any sport except the NFL and maybe Premier League footie... *sigh*

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    NASCAR took a dim view of Smokey's ingenuity, and called anything of his that they didn't understand "cheating".

9. Isn't one of the points of Nascar to use "Stock" cars, as in unmodified?

10. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I thought so.

DCat,

11. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    You guys have chavs in America? I thought that was just a European thing... So we're not the only ones who have to put up with pounding drum and bass (of the synthesized variety...) at 3am!

12. Personally I think this is a new sub-spieces of Homo Sapiens. Unfortunately, this little buggers migrate like crazy, and seem to be infectious. We need to start work right now in controling the chav population, before it's too late.

Rock on
    Eric

13. Dude, we invented the chav. The music is usually different, though: mid-'90s gangsta rap, or in the case of H. sapiens mexicanus, reggaeton. Here in Los Angeles, it seems to be a rite of passage to be awakened by the sound of Daddy Yankee's "Gasolina" coming from a 1991 Toyota Corolla with a 2000W subwoofer in the trunk that uses the chassis as a resonator.

14. Yeah. LOL. Not quite what I had in mind ... but ....

Just wanted to try to charge an auto battery - or similar - in my shed using a wind turbine. Now, there are plenty of turbines for sale that'll to do the job but they're also V expensive. One was priced @ £350. That means I've gotta live for about another 200 years to recoupe my money. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Was hoping there's be wisdom on a simple DIY turbine that used an old motor of some kind to generste the electricity.

Ta.

John

15. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member